1. In Hadees it is called as Lail
2. In English it is called as Ashes.
3. In Urdu & Hindi it is called Raakh.
4. In Arabic it is called as Sakan (سكن), Ramaad.
Ash are the end remaining thing when any materials are burnt, they are in powder form, mainly grayish silverish coloured, mostly alkaline, can be of animal origin, plants origin, chemical origin, metal origin etc, but to stop bleeding plant origin ashes are used.
1. Narrated Sahl Bin Saad رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ got wounded on the day of Uhud, “His ﷺ molar was broken and His ﷺ helmet was crushed on His ﷺ head. Fatimah رضي الله عنها was washing the blood from Him and Ali رضي الله عنه was pouring water on Him ﷺ from a shield. When Fatimah رضي الله عنها realized that the water was only making the bleeding worse, she took a piece of a mat and burnt it, and when it had turned to ashes, she applied it to the wound to stop the bleeding.
[Ibn Majah: 3593; Book. 31; English vol. 4; Book. 31; Hadees. 3464]
2. Abu Hazim said:"While I was listening, Sahl Bin Saad رضي الله عنه was asked: 'What were the wounds of Nabiﷺ treated with?' He said: 'None is alive who is more knowledgeable of it than I. Ali رضي الله عنه would come with water in his shield, and Fatimah رضي الله عنها would use it to wash His ﷺ blood off, and a mat was burnt for him and his wounds were filled with it (its ashes)."
[Tirmizi: 2229; Book. 28; English vol. 4; Book. 2, Hadees. 2085]
(Please note fresh ashes were directly applied to Nabi ﷺ’s wound).
3. Narrated by Sahl Bin Saa’d As-Sa`idi رضي الله عنه that When the helmet broke on the head of Nabiﷺ and His ﷺ face became covered with blood and His ﷺ incisor tooth broke (i.e. during the battle of Uhud), Ali رضي الله عنه used to bring water in his shield while Fatima رضي الله عنها was washing the blood off His ﷺ face. When Fatima رضي الله عنها saw that the bleeding increased because of the water, she took a mat (of palm leaves), burnt it, and stuck it (the burnt ashes) on the wound of Nabi ﷺ, whereupon the bleeding stopped.
[Bukhari: 5722; Book. 76; English vol. 7; Book. 71; Hadees. 618]
4. Narrated Abu Hazim that he heard Sahl bin Sa`d رضي الله عنه being asked about the wounds of Nabiﷺ saying, "By Allah, I know who washed the wounds of Nabiﷺ and who poured water (for washing them), and with what he was treated." Sahl added, "Fatima رضي الله عنها, the daughter of Nabiﷺ used to wash the wounds, and Ali Bin Abi Talib رضي الله عنه used to pour water from a shield. When Fatima رضي الله عنها saw that the water aggravated the bleeding, she took a piece of a mat, burnt it, and inserted its ashes into the wound so that the blood was concealed (and bleeding stopped). His canine tooth got broken on that day, and face was wounded,and His helmet was broken on His head."
[Bukhari: 4075; Book no. 64; English vol. 5; Book. 59; Hadees. 402]
5. Hazrat Kabshah رضي الله عنها (daughter of Abu Bakar رضي الله عنه) says that her father forbid his family for Hijamah (الحجامة) on Tuesday & used to assert on the authority of Nabi ﷺ that Tuesday is the day of blood & said that on Tuesday a movement is there in which blood do not stops.
[Abu Dawud: 3862; Book. 29; English Book. 28; Hadees. 3853]
Sodium, potassium, calcium, salts, organic & nonorganic substance, carbon, oxides, phosphate, etc (mainly its content depends on the things that are burnt & Ashes formed).
1. All types of ashes have a drying & clearing effects.
2. The ashes of astringent plants or wood stops bleeding.
3. Ashes absorb large amount of plasma thus helps in initial clotting of blood platelets & bleeding stops.
4. Forms a protective covering on wounds thus protects the wound from germs.
5. The surface protein of wound settles.
6. It kills the germs.
Plants ashes are the powdery residue that remains after plants are burned; chemically the ash is alkaline (pH > 10) and composed primarily of calcium carbonate and secondarily, most often, of potassium chloride (interestingly, alkaline word is derives from the Arabic meaning plant ashes) & these help in blood clotting because it absorbs large amount of plasma, thus helps in initial clotting of blood platelets & bleeding stops & forms a protective covering on wounds thus protects the wound from germs. Many doctors have found that bleeding on Tuesdays is stopped with difficulty.
Palm ash was used to stop bleeding of Nabi ﷺ. This lesson has 5 Hadees.