Throat infection is an infection of the oral pharynx & tonsils mostly by streptococcus resulting in septic sore throat, strep throat, streptococcal sore throat, tonsillitis pharyngitis, raw throat & inflammation of the fauces & pharynx.
In Hadees a type of throat infection is called as Azrah (العذرة) & in Nabi ﷺ’s time people use to press their children throat as a part of treatment, but the child use to get serious many times & Nabi ﷺ prohibited to press throat of their children & advised to use the following: -
Note: For headache there is a separate lesson.
(Also refer Lesson no. 24 Qust in part-1).
|Dark Costus (Qustul Hindi)||White Costus (Qustul Bahri)|
1. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullah ﷺ said: “To your children during Azrah (العذرة) (their throat infection), do not press their throat & do not give them Azaab (Pain) you have Costus (Qust) (القسط) (use it).
[Bukhari: 5696; Book. 76; English vol. 7; Book. 71; Hadees. 599]
2. Hazrat Jabir Bin Abdullah رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullah ﷺ said: “Oh! Ladies, it is a matter of sorrow for you, that you kill your children “If any children have Azrah (العذرة) (swelling in throat) or Headache (اووجع براسه), than take dark costus (Qust Al Hindi) Rub (قسط هندى ) it in (some) water & (the paste) should be licked.
[Mustadrak Al Hakim: 7456]
|Aloes Wood (Agar Wood)|
3. Hazrat Jabir Bin Abdullah رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullah ﷺ said: “Do not Burn the throat of your children, you have dark Costus (Qust Al Hindi) (هندى قسط) & Warss (Memecylon) make your children lick them.
[Mustadrak Al Hakim: 8239]
4. Narrated by Umme Qais Bint Minsaan رضي الله عنها that she took her son to Nabi ﷺ who was suffering from Azrah (throat infection) & she had press his throat part, Nabi ﷺ saw the child & said: “Why do you press your children & you should use Al-Ud hind (Aloes wood) for it, there are 7 cures, it should be inhaled for Azrah & taken by mouth for Zaatul Janb (pleurisy).
[Ibn Majah: 3590; Book. 31; English vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3462]
5. Narrated by Hazrat Jabir Bin Abdullah once Nabi ﷺ come to his home, & saw a child who was brought, which was having bleeding from mouth & nose. Nabi asked about it? Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها replied that the child is suffering from Azrah (العذرة) (in his throat), Nabi ﷺ said Alas! Ladies that you use to kill your children like this, In future, any children gets Azrah (العذرة) (infection in throat) or headache rub dark costus (Qust Al Hindi) & make the child lick. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها did as said, & the child became healthy.
[Musnad Abi-Yaa’la: 1912]
The details given below are according to Ulama & Islamic Scholars & not from Hadees.
Translation: Why then it was not when the soul reaches to the throat & you are at that time looking on.
Recite the above Chapter 56 (Surah) Waqia verse no. 83 & 84 for 7 times on pinch of salt & swallow the salt.
[Cures from the Quran a pocket Book by Muhammad Elahi page. 84]
Translation: - (Salamun qaulam mir rab bir raheem). Peace will be on them, a word from the Merciful Lord.
Recite the above Chapter 36 (Surah) Yaaseen verse no. 58 for 41 times & blow in water & drink or make the patient drink that water.
[Cures from the Quran a pocket Book by Muhammad Elahi page no. 86]
Read lesson no. 24 Qust (costus) in part-1.
Qust (costus) is an anti-bacterial herb with a very good effect & olive oil increases in medicinal actions & both enhances action of each other.
A research on Qust for pleurisy (Zaatul Janb) & other lungs disease: -
Anti-bacterial effect of Indian costus (Qust ul Hind) & sea-Qust & their water extracts on some pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system. AL-Kattan, Manal Othman Faculty of Science (Girls), Department of Microbiology, King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (Accepted on 4 May, 2012).
The pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system are characterized by resistance to most anti-biotics. Staphylococcus aureus & Klebsiella pneumonia are some of the pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system which often cause pneumonia, pleurisy & meningitis. Moreover, they are the most prominent strains of bacteria in most hospitals.
Bacterial resistance to anti-biotics occurs as a result of excessive usage of anti-biotics in the treatment of diseases. For that reason, it is necessary to seek for medical alternatives that are safer for the treatment of these bacteria. Alternative medicine, especially, has revealed many plants & herbs that are used in the treatment for some diseases including respiratory diseases.
The purpose of this study is to determine the effect of the Indian Costus & sea-Qust on the pathogenic bacteria; Escherichia-coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus & Klebsiella pneumonia. In addition, the effect of the water extracts of the Indian costus & sea-Qust on S. aureus & K. pneumonia was also determined.
Result of the research: -
The results showed anti-bacterial effect of two types of dried Costus roots on all tested bacteria, especially in high concentrations. Also, the cold or hot water extract of Indian Costus was highly effective against tested bacteria at 20 to 25% concentration, while the hot extract of sea-Qust was more effective against tested bacteria than its cold extract in all the concentrations used.