Blood is a constantly circulating fluid providing the body with nutrition, oxygen & waste removal. Blood is mostly liquid, with numerous cells & proteins suspended in it, making blood "thicker". Liquid of blood is called as Plasma which makes up about half of the content of blood. Plasma contains proteins that help blood to clot, transport substances through the blood & perform other functions. Blood plasma also contains glucose & other dissolved nutrients. About half of blood volume is composed of blood cells: Red blood cells, which carry oxygen to the tissues, White blood cells, which fight infections, Platelets, smaller cells that help blood to clot & etc.
1. Hazrat Kabshah رضي الله عنها (daughter of Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه) says that her father forbid his family for Wet cupping (Hijamah) (الحجامة) on Tuesday & used to assert on the authority of Nabi ﷺ that Tuesday is the day of blood & said that on Tuesday a movement is there in which blood do not stops.
[Abu Dawud: 3862; Book. 29; English Book. 28; Hadees. 3853]
2. Narrated Sahal Bin Saad رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ got wounded on the day of Uhud: “His molar was broken & His Helmet was crushed on His ﷺ Head. Fatimah رضي الله عنها was washing the blood from Him & Ali was pouring water on Him from a shield. When Fatimah realized that the water was only making the bleeding worse, she took a piece of a mat & burnt it & when it had turned to ashes, she applied it to the wound to stop bleeding.
[Ibn Majah: 3593; Book. 31; English vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3464]
3. Abu Hazim said: While I was listening, Sahl Bin Saad رضي الله عنه was asked: What were the wounds of Nabi ﷺ treated with? He said: None is alive who is more knowledgeable of it than I. Ali رضي الله عنه would come with water in his shield & Fatimah رضي الله عنها would use it to wash His ﷺ blood off & a mat was burnt for Him & His ﷺ wounds were filled with it.
[Tirmizi: 2229; Book. 28; English vol. 4; Book. 2, Hadees. 2085]
(Please note fresh ashes were directly applied to Nabi ﷺ’s wound).
4. Narrated Sahl Bin Saud As-Saidi رضي الله عنه that When the helmet broke on the head of Nabi ﷺ & His face became covered with blood & His incisor tooth broke (i.e. during the battle of Uhud), Ali رضي الله عنه used to bring water in his shield while Fatimah رضي الله عنها was washing the blood off His face. When Fatimah رضي الله عنها saw that the bleeding increased because of the water, she took a mat (of palm leaves), burnt it & stuck it (the burnt ashes) on the wound of Allah's Apostle ﷺ, whereupon the bleeding stopped.
[Bukhari: 5722; Book. 76; English vol. 7; Book. 71; Hadees. 618]
5. Narrated Abu Hazim that he heard Sahl bin Saad رضي الله عنه being asked about the wounds of Nabi ﷺ saying: By Allah, I know who washed the wounds of Nabi ﷺ & who poured water (for washing them) & with what he was treated. Sahl added: Fatimah رضي الله عنها, the daughter of Nabi ﷺ used to wash the wounds & Ali Bin Abi Talib رضي الله عنه used to pour water from a shield. When Fatimah رضي الله عنها saw that the water aggravated the bleeding, she took a piece of a mat, burnt it & inserted its ashes into the wound so that the blood was congealed (and bleeding stopped). His ﷺ Canine Tooth got broken on that day & Face was wounded & His Helmet was broken on His Head.
[Bukhari: 4075; Book. 64; English vol. 5; Book. 59; Hadees. 402]
Blood clotting, or coagulation, is an important process that prevents excessive bleeding when a blood vessel is injured. The platelets (type of blood cell) & proteins in your blood plasma (liquid part of blood) both work together to stop the bleeding by forming a clot over the injury.
Plant ash is the powdery residue that remains after plants are burned; chemically the ash is alkaline (pH > 10) & composed primarily of calcium carbonate & secondarily, most often, of potassium chloride (interestingly, alkaline derives from the Arabic word meaning plant ashes) & these help in blood clotting because it absorbs large amount of plasma, thus helps in initial clotting of blood platelets & bleeding stops & forms a protective covering on wounds thus protects the wound from germs. Many doctors have found that bleeding on Tuesdays is stopped with difficulty.