The common cold is an infection of your upper respiratory tract or nose & throat. A common cold is usually harmless, although it may not feel that way at the time. It may be runny nose, sore throat & cough, watery eyes, sneezing & congestion.
(Refer Lesson no. 34. Miswaak in part-1)
1. Hazrat Abdullah Bin Abbas رضي الله عنهما says that Rasoolullah ﷺ said that the ten benefits of Siwak (السواك) (Miswaak) are: -
Brings good smell in mouth
Makes gums stronger
Makes eye sight stronger
It is Sunnah
Pleases Farishtaas (Angles)
Pleases Allah Ta’ala
Is Neki (Sawaab)
Cleans the bowel
[Kanz al-Ummal: 26185]
2. Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه says that Nabi ﷺ said: “For you Marzanjosh is present, this is very beneficial in cold & cough it can be smelled (its steam).
[Kanz al-Ummal: 17345 & Abu Nu-aim: 286]
(Refer Lesson no. 7 Grapes & dried Grapes in part-1).
3. Hazrat Tamim Al-Daari رضي الله عنه says once he gifted some raisins (الزبيب) (Munakka) to Nabi ﷺ, Nabi ﷺ took them in His (respected) Hands & said eat this, it is a healthy meal, removes tiredness, cools the anger, gives strength, makes food sweet smelling, reduces phlegm (البلغم), brightens the face.
[Abu Nu-aim: 371]
4. Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه says that Nabi ﷺ said that for your beneficial there are raisins (dried grapes) (الزبيب) (munnaka), these improves the complexion, reduces phlegm (البلغم), strengthens the organs, removes tiredness, improves mood, increases good smell in breath & removes sorrow (grief).
[Abu Nu-aim: 319]
5. Narrated by Abdullah Bin Sa’ib رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ recited Surah Al-Mu’minun in the Fajar prayer & when He ﷺ came to offer Eisha (prayer), He ﷺ was overcome with a cough, so He ﷺ bowed in Ruku.
[Ibn Ma-jah: 869; Book. 5; English vol. 1; Book. 5, Hadees. 820]
6. Narrated by Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه that, Respond three times to your brother when he sneezes & if he sneezes more often, he has a cold in his head.
[Abu Dawud: 5034; Book. 43; English Book. 42; Hadees. 5016]
(Respond the brother when he says الحمد لله after sneezing by saying يرحمك الله but if he sneezes very often & again & again then no need to say يرحمك الله).
7. Ilyas Bin Salma Bin Al-Akwa رضي الله عنه says that his father reported to him that he heard Nabi ﷺ saying: يَرْحَمُكَ اللَّهُ (May Allah have mercy upon you) when a person sneezed in His presence & he then sneezed for the second time, Nabi ﷺ said to him: He is suffering from cold (and no response is necessary).
[Muslim: 2993; Book. 55; English Book. 42; Hadees. 7128]
The details given below are according to Ulama & Islamic Scholars & not from Hadees.
Translation: - All praise to Allah Who sent down the Book upon His Bondman & has not put therein any crookedness.
Recite the above Chapter 18 (Surah) Kahf verse no 1 for 11 times & blow on food before eating.
[Cures from the Quran a pocket Book by Muhammad Elahi page. 81]
|Marjoram leaves||Dried marjoram|
Early research shows that taking 2 drops of marjoram oil daily along with asthma medication for 3 months might improve lung function in people with asthma better than taking asthma medication alone. Its oil is also used for coughs, gall bladder complaints, stomach cramps & digestive disorders, depression, dizziness, migraine, nervous headaches, nerve pain, paralysis, coughs, running nose; & as a water pill.
Marjoram Tea made from its leaves or flowers is used for running nose & colds in infants & toddlers, also for dry & irritating coughs, swollen nose & throat & ear pain. Its tea is also used for various digestion problems including poor appetite, liver disease, gallstones, intestinal gas & stomach cramps. Some women use marjoram tea for relieving symptoms of menopause, treating mood swings related to menstrual periods, starting menstruation & promoting the flow of breast milk. Other uses include treating diabetes, sleep problems, muscle spasms, headaches, sprains, bruises & back pain. It is also used as a nerve tonic & a heart tonic & to promote better blood circulation.
In the August 2008 issue of the Journal of Period ontology, there appeared a study conducted by Swedish researchers on the Miswaak. The study apparently found that suspended Miswaak pieces in a petridish, the medium for culturing bacteria, were able to kill bacteria that cause periodontal disease without being in physical contact with the bacteria. Researchers, however, suggested that the Miswaak pieces may have been sprayed with antibiotic gases, in their attempt to explain the phenomenon.
Yet another study in 2003, comparing the use of the toothbrush & the use of the Miswaak can be reviewed currently online at the website for the U.S. National Library of Medicine & National Institutes of Health.
The study concluded that Miswaak was more effective than tooth brushing in reducing plaques & gingivitis provided it was used correctly. Similar studies found on the same website & elsewhere vouch for the effectiveness of Miswaak over toothbrush. It appeared to be more effective than tooth brushing for removing plaque from the embrasures, thus enhancing interproximal health, stated by researchers.
There have been plenty of published studies on the Miswaak & infact the entire books published on it.
With its strong anti-bacterial properties & perpendicular bristles, the Miswaak is a natural toothbrush, toothpaste & floss combined.
Raisins are one of the most effective home remedies for the treatment of a cough. It tones up the lungs & act as an expectorant, it also relieves cold & cough in a couple of days. A cup of grape juice mixed with a teaspoon of honey is advised for cough relieving. Grind up 3 ounces of raisins, adding water to make a paste. Add 3 ounces of white sugar & heat the mixture until it forms a sauce. Allow to cool. Take half an ounce of the mixture every night at bedtime.