No Quranic references of cress are found. There are many types of cress.
1. Garden cress. (Also known as pepper cress)
2. Land cress,
3. Water cress.
1. Latin name is Lepidium sativum.
2. English name is Cress.
3. Arabic name is Al-Rashad. (Hubbur Rashad).
4. Hadees name for its seeds is As-Safa (الثفاء) & its plant is called as Hurf.
5. In Syria it is called as Al-Baqdosnis Al-Haad.
6. Hindi and Urdu name is chandrashoor, kachri Methi.
7. Its seeds are called in Hindi & Urdu as Halim, Chandrashoor etc.
1. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه , said to Qais Ibn Rafe رضي الله عنه that Rasoolullahﷺ said that “You have (الثفاء) cress present for you; Allah (Ta’ala) has put healing in it for every disease.
[Al-Tibb Al-Nabawi (Al-Jawzi); page no. 640.]
2. Hazrat Abdullah Bin Abbas رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ asked “What kind of healing is in two bitter things cress (الثفاء) & Aloe Vera (الصبر)”.
[Al-Haawi Al-Kabeer vol no. 3; page no. 243]
3. Hazrat Abdullah Bin Jafar & Hazrat Aaban Bin Sualeh Bin Anas رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ advice to fumigate (dhooni with
smokes) our house with dried cress leaves (الشيح), Mor (المر) & Thymes (الصعتر).
4. Hazrat Abdullah Bin Jaffar رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said that “Fumigate your houses with dried cress leaves (الشيح) & Benzoin (اللبان) (Loban)”.
Al-Sheesh (الشيح) mentioned in Hadees is (according to many scholars) its dried leaves of cress (may also be some other herbs) (Refer Lesson no. 21 Cress), Sau’atar mentioned in Hadees (الصعتر) is Thymus serphyllum & it is used in fumigation (dhooni) (Refer Lesson no. 31), Mur mentioned in Hadees (المر) is a gum of a tree. (Refer Lesson no. 47) refer Lesson no. 45 Loban (اللبان).
Loban mentioned in Hadees (اللبان) is called as Olibanum (Styrax benzoin) and Frankin cense in English. It is obtained from a tree, it is gum of it. (Refer Lesson no. 45 Loban (اللبان) also).
Carbohydrates, sugar, dietary fibers, protein, vitamin A, beta carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, vitamin E, vitamin K, Calcium, iron, manganese, phosphorous, potassium.
1. Good for eye diseases.
2. Increases sexual desire.
3. Reduces allergy, worms, cough.
4. Helps in dysentery, scurvy diseases, asthma, chronic cough, removes phlegm.
5. Reduces swelling, pain, bronchitis, bleeding
6. Helps in piles, diabetes, leprosy, skin diseases.
7. It stops diarrhea & leucorrhoea.
8. Improves lungs function.
9. Heals dyspepsia, lumbago, spleenomegaly.
10. It increases urine output.
11. Reduces fever.
According to research its therapeutic uses are for: - Coughs, headache, colds, bronchial ailments, tuberculosis, asthma, emphysema, stress, pain, arthritis, stiff back and joints, diabetes, anemia, constipation, cataracts, failing eyesight, night blindness, leukemia, cancer, hemorrhaging, heart conditions, eczema, scabies, body deodorizer, edema, bleeding gums, weight loss, indigestion, alcoholism, intestinal parasites, circulation, sluggish menstruation, lack of energy, kidney and gall stones, as a brain and nerve strengthener; ailments of the spleen, thyroid, and liver; to normalize cholesterol and blood pressure; for improved memory, for mental function decline and to retard ageing; for failing or scant milk supply of nursing mothers; to regulate flow of bile, health of glands and the functions of body metabolism. It is one of the best sources of iodine, other than seaweed, such as kelp. Iodine is important for the functioning of the thyroid gland. The leaves used as a poultice are applied for relief from enlarged prostate gland. The chlorophyll-rich leaves are chewed to absorb breath odours. Dr. Robert Willner in ‘The Cancer Solution’ states that chlorophyll is an effective anti-cancer substance, with antioxidant action, helping to neutralize free radicals from chemicals, pesticides, cigarette smoke, diesel emissions and many other environmental mutagens.
1. Cress has healings for all diseases; fumigate the houses with its seeds. This lesson has 4 Hadees.