1. It is called as Qissa'a (القثاء) in Quran.
2. In Hadees also it is called as Qissa’a (القثاء)
3. In Arabic & Persian it is called as Khiyar.
4. In Hindi & Urdu it is called as Khira or kakri.
5. Latin name is Cucumis melo vari.
6. Family is Cucurbitaceae.
1. Chapter (Sura) 2 Baqara, verse no.61.
Translation: And [remember] when you said: "O Moses (Moosa عليه السلام), indeed we cannot endure but one kind of food; pray, then, to thy Sustainer that He bring forth for us aught of what grows from the earth - of its herbs, its cucumbers, its garlic, its lentils, its oinions.
1. Hazrat Abdullah Bin Jaffar رضي الله عنه says that he had seen Rasoolullahﷺ eating cucumber (Qissa’a) (القثاء) with Rutab (الرطب)
(fresh ripen dates).
[Tirmizi: 1844; Book. 25; English vol. 3; Book. 23; Hadees. 1844]
2. Hazrat Aisha رضي الله عنها narrates that she ate (القثاء) cucumber & Rutab (الرطب) (freshly ripen dates) to increase her weight, earlier she had taken many things to gain weight, but by cucumber & dates she gained weight.
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3449; Book. 29; English vol. 4; Book. 29, Hadees. 3324.]
(She wanted to get little fat before going to Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم house after her Nikah with Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم).
3. Narrated by Hazrat Rabia Bint Maud ‘Afra رضي الله عنها that Nabiﷺ liked (القثاء) cucumbers.
[Shama’il Muhammadiya: 202; Book. 30; English Book. 29; Hadees. 193]
4. Hazrat Rubayyi Bint Mu'awwidh Ibn Afraa رضي الله عنها said, I took a plate of fresh dates and small cucumbers to Rasoolullahﷺ. He gave me a handful of jewellery, or a handful of gold.
[Shama’il Muhammadiya: 203; Book. 30; English Book. 29; Hadees. 194]
vitamin B, vitamin C, copper, fats, calcium, sodium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, sulphur, iron, chlorides, silicone, it is mostly alkaline.
1. Cools the body, increases urine output and strengthens the body.
2. It reduces swelling, good for burning urination, urinary bladder problem, digestion, skin problems.
3. Best in summer or hot climate, best for re-hydration.
4. It is called as a “Super food”.
5. Eliminates toxins (waste) out of the body.
6. Its skin is rich in vitamin C, good for skin and hairs.
7. Can be kept on eyes to reduce inflammation, its sulphur & silicon is best for hair.
8. Reduces chances of cancers
9. It removes bad smell in breath.
10. It helps in diabetes, reduces cholesterol, and controls blood pressure.
11. It is good for joints, gouts, arthritis, nails, gums, kidneys, liver.
12. Reduces dark circles, puffiness of eyes, sunburn & freckles.
13. Improves complexion.
14. Should be eaten in little quantity.
15. Best in summer season.
16. Eat it with little black pepper.
1. Cucumbers are scientifically known as Cucumis sativus and belong to the same botanical family as melons (including watermelon
and cantaloupe) and squashes (including summer squash, winter squash, zucchini and pumpkin).Cucumbers are now known to contain
lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol—three lignans that have a strong history of research in connection with
reduced risk of cardiovascular disease as well as several cancer types, including breast, uterine, ovarian, and prostate cancers.
2. Fresh extracts from cucumbers have recently been show to have both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It help improve antioxidant status, inhibit the activity of pro-inflammatory enzymes like cyclo-oxygenase 2 (COX-2), and prevent overproduction of nitric oxide in situations where it could pose health risks. It's highly likely that cucumber phytonutrients play a key role in providing these antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits, supporting health alongside of the conventional antioxidant nutrients—including vitamin C, beta-carotene, and manganese—of which cucumbers are an important source.
Cucumber & dates together: -
3. Cucumber & dates: Cucumber has a cold effect and dates have a hot one. By combining the two they get neutralized. From this Hadees we come to know that it is recommended that the effect (hot or cold) of things eaten should be taken into consideration. Cucumber is insipid and tasteless, and dates are sweet which results in the cucumber also tasting sweet. Both are opposite to each other & cucumbers are rich in water contains.
4. Please match the nutritional facts of both cucumber & dates & see what a combination both are both makes a perfect nutrition & are opposite to each other. This is the miracle of Sunnah of Prophetصلى الله عليه وسلم eating both together.
|Nutritional value of dates. 100 mg of dates has calories 282 % Daily value.||Nutritional value of Cucumber. 100 mg of Cucumber has calories 16% Daily value.|
|Water content in dry dates||10% to 20%.||Water content in cucumber||96%.|
|Total Fat 0.4 g||0%||Total Fat 0.1 g||0%|
|Saturated fat 0 g||0%||Saturated fat 0 g||0%|
|Polyunsaturated fat 0 g||Polyunsaturated fat 0 g|
|Monounsaturated fat 0 g||Monounsaturated fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0%||Cholesterol 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium 2 mg||0%||Sodium 2 mg||0%|
|Potassium 656 mg||18%||Potassium 147 mg||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 75 g||25%||Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g||1%|
|Dietary fiber 8 g||32%||Dietary fiber 0.5 g||2%|
|Sugar 63 g||Sugar 1.7 g|
|Protein 2.4 g||4%||Protein 0.6 g||1%|
|Vitamin A||0%||Vitamin A||2%|
|Vitamin C||%||Vitamin C||4%|
|Vitamin D||0%||Vitamin D||0%|
|Vitamin B6||10%||Vitamin B6||10%|
1. Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم ate cucumber & fresh ripens dates, they increase the weight. Cucumber was liked by Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم. This lesson has 4 Hadees.