Fever is not a disease but is a sign & symptom of diseases & it is a sign of immunity, it is a body language, it is an abnormally high body temperature, usually accompanied by shivering, headache & in severe instances, delirium. When the body suffers from an infection we get fever, also by it we come to know about the severity of diseases. Nabi ﷺ said do not curse fever.
1. Narrated by A’isha رضي الله عنها that Nabi ﷺ said: "Fever is from the heat of the (Hell) Fire, so cool it with water."
[Bukhari: 3263; Book. 59; English vol. 4; Book. 54; Hadees. 485]
2. Narrated from Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ said: “Fever is one of the bellows of Hell, so avert it from yourselves with cold water.”
[Ibn Majah: 3604; Book. 31; English vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3475]
3. Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه says that Nabi ﷺ said: “If any of you suffer from fever, let him sprinkle cold water on himself for three consecutive nights before the day breaks.
[Majmauz Zawaaid: 834]
4. Narrated by Rafe’ Bin Khadij رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ said: “Fever is from the agitation of fire, so cool it with water”.
[Tirmizi: 2216; Book. 28; English vol. 4; Book. 2, Hadees. 2072]
5. Narrated by A’isha رضي الله عنها that Nabi ﷺ said: “Fever is from the heat of hell, so cool it with water”.
[Tirmizi: 2217; Book. 28; English vol. 4; Book. 2, Hadees. 2074]
6. Narrated by Abu Jamra رضي الله عنه that he used to sit with Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنهما in Makkah, once I had a fever & he said (to me): "Cool your fever with Zamzam water, Nabi ﷺ said: 'It, (the Fever) is from the heat of the (Hell) Fire; so, cool it with water (or Zamzam water).
[Bukhari: 3261; Book. 59; English vol. 4; Book. 54; Hadees. 483]
7. Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه said: Fever was mentioned in the presence Nabi ﷺ & a man cursed it. Nabi said: “Do not curse it, for it removes the sins, just as fire removes the impurity of the iron”.
[Ibn Majah: 3598; Book. 31; English vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3469]
8. Narrated by Hazrat Jabir Bin Abdullah رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ visited Umme Sa'ib or Umme Musayyib رضي الله عنها & said Umme Sa'ib or Umme Musayyib why is it that you are shivering? She said:" It is fever & may it not be blessed by Allah, on this Nabi said: “Don't curse fever for it expiates the sin of the children of Adam just as furnace removes the alloy of iron”.
[Muslim: 2575; Book. 45; English vol. 4; Book. 32, Hadees. 6244]
9. Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه narrated that the Nabi ﷺ permitted (to do) Ruqyah for fever, the evil eye (Nazar) & sores (Namlah) (Many scholars mention scorpion bite in place of fever).
[Tirmizi: 2195; Book. 28; English vol. 4; Book. 2, Hadees. 2056]
10. Narrated by Subaan رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ said that “Indeed fever is a piece of fire, let extinguish it with water (by) standing in a flowing river facing the direction of it, & recite:
Before sunrise for 3 days, if no relief in 3 days than do it for 5 days, it no relief than 7 days if no relief than for 9 days & said indeed it will not remain after nine days by Allah’s will.
[Tirmizi: 2228; Book. 28; English vol. 4; Book. 2, Hadees. 2084]
(Please note the above treatment is for hot (climate) places only).
11. Narrated by Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنهما that “For fever & all pains, Nabi ﷺ use to teach us to recite:
[Tirmizi: 2219; Book. 28; English vol. 4; Book. 2, Hadees. 2075]
12. Narrated from Umair that he heard Junadah Bin Abu Umayyah رضي الله عنه say that Jibrail عليه السلام came to Nabi ﷺ when He ﷺ was suffering from fever & recited:
Translation: (In the Name of Allah I perform Ruqyah for you, from everything that is harming you; from the envy of the envier & from every evil eye, may Allah heal you).”
[Ibn Majah: 3657; Book. 31; English vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3527]
13. Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه said: “No ailment that I might suffer from is dearer to me than fever, because it enters every organ of my body & Allah gives each organ its due share of the reward.
[Al Adabul Mufrad: 501 & Healing with Medicine of Prophet ﷺ, by: Ibn Qayyim: 43]
14. Narrated by Abdullah رضي الله عنه that I visited Nabi during His ailments & He ﷺ was suffering from a high fever. I said: "You have a high fever. Is it because you will have a double reward for it?" He ﷺ said: "Yes, for no Muslim is afflicted with any harm but that Allah will remove his sins as the leaves of a tree fall down."
[Bukhari: 5647; Book. 75; English vol. 7; Book. 70; Hadees. 550]
15. Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه narrated that Nabi ﷺ visited a man who was ill & said: "Cheer up, for indeed Allah says: It is My Fire which I impose upon My sinning slave as his portion of the Fire." Al-Hasan said: "They would hope that the fever that occurred at night would atone for any deficiency caused by sins."
[Tirmizi: 2232; Book. 28, English vol. 4; Book. 2, Hadees. 2088]
[Reference Hisnul Hasin (English by Muhammed Rafiq)]
The details given below are according to Ulama & Islamic Scholars & not from Hadees.
Translation: - We said, 'O Fire! Be you cool & safety for Ibrahim.'
Recite the above Chapter 21 (Surah) Ambiya verse no. 69 again & again on the patient having high fever or to reduce anger & Stubbornness.
[Cures from the Quran a pocket Book by Muhammad Elahi page. 120]
Nabi ﷺ taught us to cool the fever with water. The same is still applied today putting cold pads on a patient’s forehead; it is still used in a lot of hospitals & by doctors even though fever reducing medicines are abundant, like paracetamole (acetaminophen) & others.
Using water to reduce fevers is not limited till using cold pads. Drinking a lot of fluids is also helpful. This is also understood from the wordings of Nabi ﷺ cool it (fever) with water.” Water is either what the patient drinks, what is given intravenously or what the patient puts on his face or body to cool the fever.
We have seen a lot of patients where fever reducing medicines (anti-pyretic) were not effective with their rising fever. At the same time, cold water had an immediate effect. That’s why pediatricians advise parents to take a child’s clothes off & give a lot of fluids if fever occurs. An antipyretic medicine can also be give like paracetamole to the patient.
What is fever?
Fever occurs when the body temperature rises above normal (37 C). There is an area in the brain (an area that lies over the pituitary gland in the front of the head) which is a temperature regulator.
When germs enter the body, they start secreting toxins. Toxins affect the temperature regulator causing its temperature to rise. The substances that cause this rise in temperature are called pyrogens. Pyrogens are caused not only by germs but also by the ruined tissues in the body after being affected with germs.
When the temperature rises, the rest of the body has to comply. It increases its temperature in response. Soon, the whole body feels feverish & the patient’s temperature rises. This explains the saying of the Nabi ﷺ when He ﷺ described the believers in their kindness & affections like the body. If a part of it suffers from a germ or a virus, like inflammation in the respiratory pathways or inflammation of the urinary tracts & others, all of the body suffers from fever & restlessness.
The whole body suffers. The whole body has a rise in temperature & not only where it is affected. When the inflammation worsens, the germs increases & consequently ruin the tissues. The germs & the pyrogens will find the body’s defense system ready to attack & eat the by-products of the germs & get rid of them. While doing this, it releases a substance called leucocytes pyrogens or endogenous. Therefore the fever remains while the body is cleansing itself from the by-products.
Didn’t Nabi ﷺ taught us, when a man cursed the fever: “Don’t curse it because it abolishes sins like fire abolishes dirt from iron.”
It is cleansing for our sins, also cleansing of dead substances such as dead tissue & the by-products of the germs, like fire cleans the dirt from iron.
The famous book of physiology by Guyton, 1992 edition, stated that an amount equal to one over 10 billionths gram of endogenous are enough for a fever to occur. Such a small amount of a substance secreted in the body due to a very small germ or a virus is enough to transfer a person form being healthy, to becoming sick, feverish & bed ridden.
Recent scientific studies have shown that these leucocytes pyrogens cause fever by making a substance called prostaglandin in the local glands in the area of the hypothalamus. When the growth of this kind of prostaglandin is inhibited, by using medicines, the fever is reduced. This explains how medicines reduce fever. It inhibits the growth of prostaglandin & prevents its making.
Prostaglandin are number of hormone-like substances that participate in a wide range of body functions such as the contraction & relaxation of smooth muscle, the dilation & constriction of blood vessels, control of blood pressure & modulation of inflammation. Prostaglandins are derived from a chemical called arachidonic acid.
How do chills occur & why?
The temperature level rises suddenly from its normal level to a higher level, due to damage in the tissues, due to the release of temperature generating substances or due to dehydration. When this happens, the body temperature rises within a few hours to attain the new temperature. During this period, the patient shivers & feels cold, even though the body temperature is high, because blood vessels in the skin contracts. The chills remain until the body temperature reaches the new level set by the temperature regulator.
When the body temperature reaches that level, the chills stop & the patient feels neither warm nor cold. As long as the infection continues & the reason for the rise in temperature continues, the body temperature remains at this new level until Allah permits recovery.