1. In Hadees, Persian & Arabic it is called as Sh'aeer (الشعير).
2. In English it is called as Barley.
3. In Urdu & Hindi it is called as Jaw.
4. In Sanskrit it is called as Bawa.
5. In Latin it’s called as Hordeum vulgare.
6. Sattu in Hadees & Arabic is called as Saweeq. (Sattu is roasted flour of Barley the details are given further in this lesson.)
It is a member of grass family & cereal grain. It is a self pollinated, diploid species with 14 chromosomes
chapatti (roti), Daliya (gravy), Sattu (Saweeq), Talbinah (التلبينه).
1. Hazrat Yusuf Bin Abdullah Bin Salam رضي الله عنه saw Nabiﷺ having a piece barley bread (خبر الشعير) & kept Tamar (date) on it & said that the dates (تمر) are equivalent to its gravy (condiment).
[Abu Dawud: 3830; Book 28; Eng Book 27; Hadees. 3821]
2. Narrated by Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ used to spend many nights in a row hungry and his family could find no supper, and
usually their bread was barley bread.”
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3472; Book. 29; Eng vol. 4; Book. 29, Hadees. 3347]
3. Hazrat Sahal Bin Saad رضي الله عنه says that, we used to be happy on Fridays, for there was an old lady who used to pull out the
roots of beetroot (Silq) and put it in a cooking pot with some barley (الشعير). When we use to finish the (Friday) prayer, we would visit her and she would present that dish before us. So we used to be happy on Fridays because of that, and we never used to take our meals or have a mid-day nap except after the Friday prayer. By Allah, that meal contained no fat.
[Bukhari: 5403; Book. 70; Eng vol. 7; Book. 65; Hadees. 315]
4. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that, when ever anybody use to fell ill, in Rasoolullahﷺ‘s family, Rasoolullahﷺ use to
advice to eat Barley broth (الشعير فضع) (Harisa or Daliya) & use to say it removes the sorry/ grief from the heart of the
patient & removes weakness, as anyone washes the face with water & water clears the dirt present on face.
[Tirmizi: 2173; Book. 28; Eng vol. 4; Book. 2, Hadees. 2039]
5. Hazrat A'isha رضي الله عنها says that Nabiﷺ said “You should eat the beneficial thing that is unpleasant to eat: Talbinah, (التلبينه) meaning broth. If any family member of Nabiﷺ fall sick, the cooking pot would remain on the fire until one of two things happened, either the person recovered or died.
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3572; Book. 31; Eng vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3446]
By the above, the scholars say that we come to know that the dish should be freshly prepared every time & given to the patient again & again in Luke warm condition.
6. Narrated Hisham's father that Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها use to advice Talbinah (التلبينه) for patient mostly & use to say if the patient dislikes it, then also give him because it is very beneficial (النافع).
[Bukhari: 5690; Book. 76; Eng vol. 7; Book. 71; Hadees. 594]
7. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that whenever in our family anyone passed away (die), people use to come to meet specially ladies, When all the people use to go away, expect close family members than Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها use to ask to cook Talbinah (التلبينه), than ask to cook Sareed (ثريد) than she رضي الله عنها use to ask to put Talbinah (التلبينه) in Sareed (ثريد) vessel & ask to eat & she use to say that she heard Nabiﷺ saying that Talbinah (التلبينه) brings comfort to the sick (المريض) & lessens grief.
[Muslim: 2216; Book. 39; Eng Book. 26; Hadees. 5491]
8. Hazrat Abu Barda رضي الله عنه says that when I reached Madinah, I met Hazrat Abdullah Bin Salam رضي الله عنه , and he invited me as a
guest & said to Hazrat Barda رضي الله عنه that I will give you meal in the vessel from which Nabiﷺ drank & also guide you to offer
Salah (Namaz) in the masjid in which Nabiﷺ offered Salah (Namaz). I accompanied him & he made me drink Sawiq (jaw sattu) (roasted barley flour) & gave me dates, & then I prayed in Nabi ﷺ's masjid.
[Bukhari 7342; Book 96; Eng vol. 9; Book. 92; Hadees. 441]
9. Narrated by Abi Burda that Abu Musa Al-Ashari رضي الله عنه was to send Yemen by Nabiﷺ, & he asked about certain (alcoholic) drinks,
which were prepared there, about Al-Bit & Al-Mizr & said, "Al-Bit is an alcoholic drink made from honey; and Al-Mizr is an alcoholic
drink made from barley." To his Nabiﷺ answered that "All intoxicants are prohibited."
[Bukhari: 4343; Book. 64; Eng vol. 5; Book. 59; Hadees. 631]
10. Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه says that once my mother Umme Sulem رضي الله عنها ask me to give a basket of dates to Rasoolullahﷺ, Hazrat
Anas رضي الله عنه went to Rasoolullahﷺ’s home, but he came to know that Rasoolullahﷺ has gone to a feast at his ex-slave to whom
Nabiﷺ had freed in past.
(Actually Nabiﷺ had freed this slave; the slave became a good tailor & earned good money for himself. Now he had invited Nabiﷺ for a feast along with some companions of Nabiﷺ). When Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه reach the slave’s place, everybody was eating, Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه was asked to join the feast & he did. They were served with Sareed (ثرد) made from long pumpkin (kara’a), dried meat & barley chapatti bread. Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه knew that pumpkin was favourite to Rasoolullahﷺ & he use to collect pieces of pumpkin (kara’a) in front of Rasoolullahﷺ. Than after the feast, Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه & Rasoolullahﷺ went to Rasoolullahﷺ’s home & Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه gave the basket of dates. Rasoolullahﷺ was eating the dates & distributing the dates among people, till the dates finished.
[Bukhari: 5379 & 5420; Book. 70; Eng vol. 7; Book. 65; Hadees. 291 & 331] And [Ibn Ma-jah: 3428; Book. 29; English vol. 4; Book. 29, Hadees. 3303]
(& also from other reference all are mixed & written, please note).
11. Hazrat Saad Bin Abi Waqqas رضي الله عنه fell ill in Makkah, Nabiﷺ visited him, and asked to call a doctor, Al Haris Bin Kuldah
was called, he came, examined and said he is not serious, and advised to take dates (khajur), barley (jaw) & boiled fenugreek seeds (Methi) water & prepare soup like gravy (daliya) than put honey on it & give to Hazrat Saad رضي الله عنه at early morning, luke warm. And Hazrat Saad رضي الله عنه got well; Nabiﷺ liked the preparation advised by Al Haris Bin Kuladah.
[At-tibbe Nabawi Harful Haa volume no. 1; page no. 230]
12. Hazrat Umme Munzir رضي الله عنها says that, Rasoolullahﷺ & Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه both came home, she had Dawaal (دوال) (bunches of dates), she served Dawaal (دوال) to both, both started to eat the dates, but when Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه had eaten 7 dates
(approximately) he was stopped by Rasoolullahﷺ from eating more, & said to Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه that you were ill last days & now
you are weak, so do not eat more, Hearing to his Hazrat Umme Munzir رضي الله عنها prepared Sareed (ثرد) (thin gravy) of meat, beet root &
chapatti (خبز) from barely flour (Jaw) & served to both, on this Rasoolullahﷺ said to Hazrat Ali رضي الله عنه eat this dish,
this is beneficial for you.
[Tirmizi: 2170; Book. 28; English vol. 4, Book. 2, Hadees. 2036]
13.Narrated by Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ married Hazrat Safiya رضي الله عنها & called people for a feast (as dawat e
valima) & served people with Hais, (Hasis) on a piece of leather ( dastarkhwaan).
[Bukhari: 5387; Book. 70; Eng vol. 7; Book. 65; Hadees. 299]
Hais (Hasis) is a sweet dish (halwa) prepared from Tamar (تمر) dates, milk, jaw (barley), ghee, paneer etc. Hais (Hasis) was liked by Nabiﷺ very much. And dawat e valima is a feast given by groom (dulha) to his friends & relatives after Nikah. It is Sunnah.
8. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that whenever anyone complaint about anorexia (less hunger) to Nabiﷺ. Nabiﷺ use to advice to eat
Talbinah (التلبينه), & use to say that by "Allah, (kasam) who has my life in his right" and further said that Talbinah (التلبينه) will
clear your guts (stomach, intestines & etc) from unwanted elements, like you wash your face with water & water cleans the dirt from
[An-Nasa’i: 7576 according to المكتبة الشاملة (Al-Maktab Al-Shamilah).
1. Take 2 to 3 teaspoon of roasted barley flour (sattu).
2. Add it in 1 glass milk & mix vigorously in mixer or manually.
3. Than boil the mixture properly on a low flame for 10 to 15 minutes till the mixture gets thick & fumes of jaw & milk comes.
4. Than let it cool a little and add 3 to 5 teaspoon of honey in it.
5. Then use it in Luke warm condition, again & again.
6. Give Talbinah to ill patient, old, pregnant & etc.
7. Always prepare fresh & serve.
1. Take some (jaw) barley grain with husk.
2. Take a pan & put some pure ghee in it & heat the ghee little.
3. Then put the barley grains in the pan and roast them a little.
4. Then keep them for self cooling.
5. Then grind them into flour.
6. Also you can roast the flour.
7. And store (This is sattu).
Take some meat of goat or lamb; cut the meat into small pieces than boil it, as we do while preparing soups. Smash the
boiled meat into small fibers (especially of lamb or goat).
Add required amount of water & put the smashed meat in it along with the soup obtained while boiling the meat & prepare soup in routine way. When the soup is ready put small pieces of barley chapatti or barley bread in it & cover the vessel with a plate for 5 minutes. Than serve it.
Proteins, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin B1, B2, B6, B12, vitamin c, k, A, zinc, selenium, dietary fibers, monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, saturated fat etc.
1.Barley reduces cholesterol.
2. Beneficial in kidney stones & gall stones.
3. It is nourishing.
4. Rich in fibers thus removes constipation & makes us free from taking medicines for constipation.
5. Reduces blood pressure.
6. It counteracts toxins which causes intestinal cancers
7. Helps in controlling blood sugar & reduces blood glucose.
8. Reduces fats of the body.
9. Helps in reducing obesity.
10. Beneficial in anaemia
11. It helps digestion.
12. Removes toxins.
13. It improves immunity.
14. It prevents osteoporosis & atherosclerosis.
15. It is a good antidote in poisoning.
16. Maintains skin elasticity, increases skin tone.
17. Promotes hair growth, restores hair colour.
18. Reduces hair fall.
19. Heals wounds.
20. It reduces inflammation. 21. It is an anti ageing.
Scientists have found the following items during the chemical synthesis of barley- albuminoids, starch, fat, fiber, ash and water.
Chemical composition shows that it contains the fat in the form of Leucosine Gluten Albumen, the compound of Nitrogen as palmatic
Acid, Salisylic Acid, and Phosphoric Acid. Besides, it contains Hypoxanthens. It contains 4 per cent Proteins, the enzymes for digestion of carbohydrates and vitamins. Some scientists also
indicate the presence of Arsenic in the barley grain.
Mechanism of Action according to Pharmacology: -
Gastrointestinal effects: Germinated Barley Foodstuff (GBF) is derived from the aleurone and scutellum fractions of germinated barley. GBF appears to induce proliferation of intestinal epithelial cells and facilitate defecation through bacterial production of short chain fatty acids, especially butyrate. GBF is believed to facilitate epithelial repair and suppress epithelial NFkB-DNA binding activity through butyrate (by the micro flora bifid bacterium and eubacterium). GBF has been associated with increased growth of these micro floras in the intestinal tract & varying amounts of total tocopherols and tocotrienols (49.9-67.6mg/kg) and vitamin E content (vitamin E equivalent; 15.7-20.1mg/kg). Barley products composed of different amylose-amylopectin ratios (7-44% amylose) have been reported to lower metabolic responses
Anti-carcinogenic effects: Lunasin, a novel, cancer-preventive peptide found in barley, internalizes into mammalian cells within minutes of exogenous application and localizes in the nucleus after 18 hours. It inhibits acetylation of core histones in mammalian cells. Lunasin does not affect the growth rate of normal and established cancer cells, but is selective for cells being transformed or newly transformed by binding to deacetylated core histones exposed by the transformation event, disrupting the dynamics of histone acetylation-deacetylation and leading to cell death.
Barley as a Antihypertensive: - Barley has predominantly insoluble fiber and soluble fiber in a whole-grain, it is a diet helpful for blood pressure & lowers cholesterol. Two barley products, barley oil and brewer's spent grains (BSG), neither of which contains soluble fiber, have been investigated for their potential positive impact on lipid metabolism. Brewer's spent grains (BSG) is a by-product of the brewing industry and typically contains 98% insoluble dietary fiber and is high in protein (20-30%) and lipid (6-10%) and contains three times more tocotrienols than the whole grain. The combined animal and human studies on barley oil and brewer's spent grains suggest that some components, possibly the tocotrienols which are an antioxidant, have the ability to affect lipid controlling enzymes and lower the cholesterol. Plasma lipid-lowering effects of barley have been attributed to rich amounts of beta-glucan, a water-soluble fiber. The beta-glucan component of barley has slow gastric emptying time, prolong the feeling of fullness, and stabilize blood sugars. Other contributory factors may be d-alpha-tocotrienol. In chicks, high protein barley flour (HPBF)-based diets increase body weight (18%), suppress HMG-CoA reductase (-36%), impair fatty acid synthetase (-40%), and decrease serum triglyceride (-9%) and cholesterol levels (-23%).
Glycemic/insulinemic effects: Barley contains more fermentable carbohydrate than other cereals such as rice. Fermentation of undigested carbohydrate produces short chain fatty acids, some which may reduce hepatic glucose production and affect postprandial glycemia. Because of viscous properties of beta-glucans, boiled flours appear to produce higher glucose and insulin responses when compared with milled kernels. According to a controlled study in 18 lean, healthy men ingesting barley beta-glucan given with high- carbohydrate food and high-carbohydrate drinks, beta-glucan significantly decreased glycemic and insulinemic responses on the food (p<0.05) but not on the drink (p>0.05) treatments, compared to controls. In another study comparing crackers and cookies made of whole wheat or barley, the barley crackers and cookies had glycemic indices of 49 and 34, respectively, whereas whole wheat crackers and cookies had 78 and 81, respectively.
Barley bread (chapatti) & its flour was the mostly eaten food of Nabiﷺ & His Family. Barley broth (daliya), Talbinah, barley flour water (jaw Sattu sharbat), its flour is best for health. It strengthens & soothes the heart, cleans digestive sytem, removes weakness & etc. Prescribe to your patients to eat it again & again even if the patient dislikes it. Everyone can use it, fast can be opened by its Sattu water (barley flour water). This lesson has 15 Hadees.