Dubba (round pumpkin).
Kar’a (elongated pumpkin).
Bottle gourd. (Dudhi).
Bottle gourd (round) gol dudhi.
1. In Quran it is called as YAQTEEN (يقطين) (means a plant without branches) means it is creeper.
2. In English it is called as Pumpkin.
3. In common language it is called as Kaddu.
4. In Hadees, Pumpkin is called as Kar'a (القرع) and Dubba (الدباء).
5. Round Pumpkin is called Dubba & elongated Pumpkin is called as Kar’a.
Many scholars consider bottle gourd (dudhi) as Dubba & Kar’a, but many consider pumpkin (Kaddu), we can consider both pumpkin & bottle gourd, , but pumpkin refers more stronger than bottle gourd. Bottle gourd is lauki (Dudhi). So we should eat both, and both are considered as Sunnah, Though Allah Ta’ala knows better.
1. In Chapter 37 (Sura) As-Saffat verse no. 139 to 146. In these verses the story of Prophet Yunus (عليه السلام) is told & Yaqteen is mentioned as climbers like tree.
Translations: And we caused to grow over him a tree, a gourd.
1. Narrated Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه that, a tailor invited Rasoolullahﷺ to a meal which he had prepared. I went with Rasool
Allahﷺ to that meal, and the tailor served Rasoolullahﷺ with barley bread (خُبْزًا مِنْ شَعِيرٍ) and soup of gourd (دُبَّاء) and cured meat. I saw Rasoolullahﷺ picking the pieces of gourd from around the dish, and since then I have kept on liking round pumpkin (الدُّبَّاءَ)
[Bukhari: 5439; Book. 70; English vol. 7; Book. 65; Hadees. 350]
Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم had a slave (gulam) to whom (respected) Nabiﷺ had freed, this slave became a tailor & invited (respected) Nabiﷺ for a feast.
2. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ liked (حب) long pumpkin (القرع) very much.
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3427; Book. 29, English vol. 4; Book. 29; Hadees. 3302]
3. Narrated by Hakim Bin Jabir رضي الله عنه that his father said: “I entered upon the Nabiﷺ in his house, and Heﷺ had some of this
round pumpkin (الدُّبَّاء), I asked ‘What is this?’ Nabiﷺ replied ‘This is long pumpkin (الْقَرْعُ), it is round pumpkin (الدُّبَّاءُ) we augment our food with it”.
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3429; Book. 29; English volume. 4; Book. 29, Hadees. 3304]
4. Jabir Bin Taariq رضي الله عنه says that "I attended the assembly of Rasoolullahﷺ & I observed, they were busy cutting round pumpkin (الدُّبَّاءُ) into pieces, I inquired 'What shall be made of this', Heﷺ replied, It will be add in our food.
[Shama’il Muhammadiya: 161; Book. 26, English Book. 25, Hadees. 152]
5. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said that round pumpkin (الدباء) increases the intelligence, brain function & increases brain strength.
[Kanz al-Ummal: 28277]
6. Hazrat Ataa Bin Ribah رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ said that long pumpkin (القرع) is present for you, which increases the intelligence & strengthens the Brain (الدماغ).
[Shobul Imaan: 5547]
7. Hazrat Wasila رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said that long pumpkin (القرع) is present for you, which increases the intelligence (الدماغ) and lentils (masoor daal) (العدس) is also present for you, which was eaten by more than 70 Prophet of Allah Ta’ala.
8. Hazrat A'isha رضي الله عنها said to father of Hazrat Hashsham Bin Arwah رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ said to her that whenever you cook dry meat add round pumpkin (دباء) in it because it strengthens the heart which is effected with (قلب الحزين) inferior complex.
[Ibne Qayyim vol.1; page. 308]
9. Hazrat Abu Talut رضي الله عنه says that I went to Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه & he was eating long pumpkin (القرع) & he said long pumpkin (القرع) is from such a plant to which I like very much because it is loved very much by Rasoolullahﷺ.
[Tirmizi: 1849; Book. 25; English volume no. 3; Book. 23, Hadees. 1849]
10. Sumamah Bin Hazn Al-Qushairi said: "I met A’isha رضي الله عنها and asked her about Nabiz, She said, 'The delegation of 'Abdul-Qais came to Rasoolullahﷺ
and asked in which vessels they should soak (fruits - to make Nabiz). Nabiﷺ forbade them to soak (fruits) in round pumpkin (الدباء), Naqir, Muqayyar, and Hantam.
[An-Nasa’i: 5638; Book. 51; In English vol. 6; Book no. 51, Hadees no. 5641]
11. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه said, Nabiﷺ forbade soaking (fruits) in round pumpkin (الدباء) and Muzaffat" (containers for make Nabiz).
[An-Nasa’i: 5630; Book. 51; English vol. 6; Book. 51, Hadees. 5633]
(Nabiz is, dates, grapes or dried grapes soaked in water overnight & the syrup is drank, this Nabiz converts into alcohol so it is not allowed to prepare nabiz in pumpkin, green container & etc, as people use to do, at that time) (Please refer lesson no. 10 Dates)
Energy, Vitamin A, beta-carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin Thiamine (vit.B1), Riboflavin (vit.B2), Niacin (vit.B3), Pantothenic acid (vit.B5), Pyridoxine (vit.B6), Folate (vit.B9), Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc, carbohydrates & etc.
1. It is amongst the low calories vegetable. 100 g of it provides just 26 calories and contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; It is rich in dietary
fiber, anti-oxidants elements, minerals, vitamins like vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E, it Improves vision due to Vitamin A (retinol).
2. It helps in control of cholesterol & weight. It is also an excellent source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin, Carotenes convert into vitamin A inside the body.
3. Zea-xanthin is a natural anti-oxidant which has UV (ultra-violet) rays filtering actions in the macula lutea in retina of the eyes. Thus, it helps protect from "age-related macular disease" (ARMD) in the elderly.
4. It is a good source of B-complex group of vitamins like folic acid, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid.
5. It is also rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus. Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart health.
6. In addition, the seeds are concentrated sources of protein, minerals and health-benefiting vitamins.
7. For instance, 100 g of pumpkin seeds provide 559 calories, 30 g of protein, 110% RDA of iron, 4987 mg of niacin (31% RDA), selenium (17% of RDA), zinc (71%) etc., but no cholesterol. Further, the seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is converted to GABA in the brain.
8. Pumpkin juice is a juice extracted from raw pumpkins. Its juice has several health benefits due to which it can be used as a healthy substitute for carbonated drinks.
9. Pumpkin has a high content of vitamin D as well as minerals like copper, iron and phosphorus. Juicing is a suitable way to obtain these nutritional benefits of pumpkin.
10. This juice is highly regarded by vegetarians because of its delicious taste and versatility of use.
11. It is also used as an active ingredient in many sweets and pharmaceutical preparations.
12. It has Magnesium which is good for heart. It helps in ATP (adenosine triphosphate) formation (the energy molecules of our body) & it increases pumping action of our heart, proper bone and tooth formation, relaxes the blood vessels, and brings proper bowel function.
13. Magnesium has been shown to benefit your blood pressure and help prevent sudden cardiac arrest, heart attack and stroke.
14. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of zinc & it is important for our body in many ways, increases immunity, cell growth and division, sleep, mood, your senses of taste and smell, eye and skin health, insulin regulation, and male sexual function. Helps in colds and flu, chronic fatigue, depression, acne, low birth weight babies, learning problems and poor school performance in children.
15. Pumpkin seeds are one of the best sources of plant-based omega-3s (alpha-linolenic acid or ALA). We all need ALA; however, ALA has to be converted in our body into essential omega-3 fats EPA and DHA.
16. Pumpkin seeds are important natural food for men’s health because of high zinc content, which is important for prostate health.
17. Pumpkin seed extracts and oil is used in treating benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH, or enlarged prostate). Research suggests that both pumpkin seed oil and pumpkin seeds are beneficial in supporting prostate health.
18. Pumpkin seeds may help improve insulin regulation and help prevent diabetic & decreases oxidative stress.
19. Pumpkin seed oil is rich in natural phytoestrogens and studies suggest it may lead to a significant increase in good “HDL” cholesterol along with decreases in blood pressure, hot flashes, headaches, joint pains and other menopausal symptoms in postmenopausal women.
20. Pumpkin seeds are rich in healthy fats, antioxidants and fibers, & provide benefits for heart and liver health, particularly when mixed with flax seeds.
21. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of tryptophan, an amino acid (protein building block) that our body converts into serotonin, which in turn is converted into melatonin, the “sleep hormone.
22. Eating pumpkin seeds a few hours before bed, along with a carbohydrate like a small piece of fruit, may be especially beneficial for providing your body the tryptophan needed for your melatonin and serotonin production to help promote a restful night’s sleep.
23. Pumpkin seed oil has been found to exhibit anti-inflammatory effects especially in arthritis, without the side effect.
1. Pumpkin seeds should be eaten raw, but should be fresh & should soaked in water & than keep them in oven or roast them on a low heat. (At not more than 170 degrees F heat or 75 degrees Celsius), sprinkled with Himalayan or other natural salt, for about 15-20 minutes).
1. Bottle gourd contains 92% of water and the remaining is easily digestible fiber. So it is the easily digestive food.
2. The glucose and sugar related compounds are nearly nil in the bottle gourd. So it the one of the food option for the diabetic patients.
3. Bottle gourd is the one of the body heat control food. It keeps your body temperature at normal level.
4. Bottle gourd juice is widely used for the weight loss. Take the fresh bottle gourd and peel the skin of the veggie and make the bottle gourd into small pieces. Take those pieces into juicer and make them as juice. Filter the juice from the waste. This bottle gourd juice helps to reduce the weight.
5. Bottle gourd helps to reduce the blood sugar levels. Take the bottle gourd in the daily diet or to make the habit of drinking the bottle gourd juice daily helps a lot to the diabetic patients.
6. It helps in reducing inflammations in the liver and kidneys.
7. This bottle gourd juice is also helpful in treating diarrhea. Take bottle gourd juice with a pinch of the salt this will heal diarrhea.
8. It is the best food for the person suffering from constipation. The water and fiber in the bottle gourd make the digestive system free and active and relive from the constipation.
9. Sesame oil mixed with the bottle gourd in the equal amounts and applied on hair and scalp, before going to bed, helps to have good sleep. It is one of the remedy for the insomnia (lack of sleep).
10. Bottle gourd helps to treat the urinary tract infection. Take the fresh bottle gourd juice and squeeze the fresh lime in it & mix both & take it orally. It is a best remedy for the urinary infections.
Water, Energy,Protein, Carbohydrate, Dietary Fiber, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sodium, Zinc, calcium, Vitamin C, B1, B2, B6, etc
Squash is among the vegetables mentioned by Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم. Hadees from Bukhari quotes that Ibn Malik said, "A tailor invited the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم to a meal that he had
prepared, and I went along with the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم. The tailor presented barley bread and soup containing gourd and cured meat. I saw the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم picking the
pieces of gourd from around the dish, and since then I have kept on liking gourd.
Dexter L. Morris, MD, PhD, vice chairman and associate professor in the department of emergency medicine at the University Of Northern Carolina School Of Medicine says that “Squash and gourd contain such a rich array of vitamins and minerals and other compounds that scientists have just begun to map its healing power." However, they have managed to come to at least a few conclusions and one is that squash is one of the richest sources of vitamin C and beta-carotene (25% and 66% respectively). Scientists have found that people who have more vitamin C in the diets over time have fewer lung ailments as the vitamin gets transported to the lining of the lung as serves as an antioxidant. Also read scientific benefits.
For instance, 100 g of pumpkin seeds provide 559 calories, 30 g of protein, 110% RDA of iron, 4987 mg of niacin (31% RDA), selenium (17% of RDA), zinc (71%) etc., but no cholesterol. Further, the seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is converted to GABA in the brain; tryptophan is needed for melatonin and serotonin production to help promote a restful night’s sleep. It also prevent stroke.
It has Magnesium which is good for heart. It helps in ATP (adenosine triphosphate) formation (the energy molecules of our body) & it increases pumping action of our heart, proper bone and tooth formation, relaxes the blood vessels, and brings proper bowel function. Magnesium has been shown to benefit your blood pressure and help prevent sudden cardiac arrest, heart attack and stroke. Pumpkin seeds are an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are good for heart health.
Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم liked pumpkin, it should be added in food, it increases the brain function & intelligence, strengthens the heart, reduces inferior complex, it was eat by previous Prophets also. We are not to prepare Nabiz in it. (Nabiz is when dates or Raisins are soaked in water overnight & the syrup in drank) (Please refer the lesson no. 10 on dates). This lesson has 11 Hadees.