Al Qust Al Bahri(القسط البحرى)
Al Qust Al Hindi(قسطا هندى)
1. In Hadees it is called as Al Qust Al Bahri (القسط البحرى) & Al Qust Al Hindi (قسطا هندى) (both are different varieties of Qust) Qust Al Bahri is of light coloured & Qust Al Hindi is from India & it is dark coloured.
2. In Arabic it is called as Qust.
3. In English it is called as Costus.
4. In Hindi & Sanskrit it is called as Kusth.
5. In Latin it is called as Saussaurea lappa
King Vikram of India had sent many gifts to Nabi ﷺ & among all the items Qust (قسطا هندى) was also present & Nabi ﷺ said, this is Qust Al Hindi & also said the benefits of it.
1. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said Wet Cupping (الحجامة)
and white costus
(القسط البحرى) (Qust Al Bahri) are the best of your treatments.
[Musnad Ahmed: 12906]
2. Hazrat Zaid Bin Arqam رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ advised, as a treatment for pleurisy (الجنب ذات) (Zaatul Janb), Mememcylon (ورس) (Warss), Costus (قسط) (Qust), & olive oil (زيت) (Zait) & take at one side of mouth (يُلَدُّ).
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3596; Book. 31; In Eng vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3467]
Means the preparation should be taken at the side of the mouth to which side the problem in the body is, means if the problem is the right side of the body then take the preparation in the right side of the mouth.
3. Maimun Abu Abdullah said: "I heard Zaid Bin Arqam رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ ordered us to use white costus (القسط البحرى) & olive oil (زيت) for pleurisy (ذات الجنب)
[Tirmizi: 2223; Book. 28; English vol: 4; Book. 2; Hadees. 2079]
4. Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ said “To your children during their throat infection (العذرة) (Azrah), do
not press their throat & do not give them pain (Azaab) you have costus (القسط) Qust (use it).
[Bukhari: 5696; Book. 76; English vol. 7; Book. 71; Hadees. 599]
5. Hazrat Jabir Bin Abdullah رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ said “Oh! Ladies, it is a matter of sorrow for you, that you kill your children “If any children have throat infection (العذرة) (Azrah) (a type of throat infection) or headache (اووجع براسه), than take dark costus (means dark coloured) (قسطا هندى) put it in (some) water & (the paste) should be licked.
[Mustadrak Al Hakim: 7456]
6. Hazrat Jabir Bin Abdullah رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ said “Do not burn the throat of your children, you have dark costus (قسطا هندى) & Memecylon (ورس) (Warss) make your children lick them.
[Mustadrak Al Hakim: 8239.] For Memecylon (Warss) refer lesson no. 32.
7. Narrated by Hazrat Jabir Bin Abdullah رضي الله عنه once Nabiﷺ come to his home, & saw a child who was brought, which was having bleeding from mouth & nose. Nabiﷺ asked about it? Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها replied that the child is suffering from throat infection (العذرة) (Azrah), Nabiﷺ said, Alas! ladies, you use to kill your children like this, In future, any children gets infection in throat (العذرة) or headache (اوو جع فى راسه) rub dark costus (قسطا هندى) & make the child lick. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها did as said, & the child became healthy.
[Musnad Abi-Yaa’la: 1912]
9. It was narrated from Hafsah from Umm Atiyyah رضي الله عنها from Nabiﷺ, that Heﷺ granted a concession to the woman whose husband has
died, allowing her to use costus (قسطا) and Azfar when purifying herself following her menses.
[An-Nasa’i: 3542; Book. 27; Eng vol. 4; Book. 27, Hadees. 3572]
Aloes wood to be used for throat infection: please note that aloes wood i different from costus
9. Narrated by Umme Qais Bint Minsaan رضي الله عنها that she took her son to Nabi ﷺ who was suffering from throat infection & she had press hsi throat part, Nabi ﷺ saw the child and said "Why do you press your children & you should use Aloes wood (Al-Ud Al-Hindi), there are 7 cures in it, it should be inhaled for throat infection (Azrah) & taken by mouth for pluerisy (Zaatul-Janb).
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3590; Book. 31; Eng vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3462]
Aloes wood is aromatic, resinous heartwood that is found in trees from the aquilaria genus, an evergreen tree, it is thought that aloes wood is created by a reaction from an injury to the tree, starting an infection and thus triggering the oleoresin to grow within the heartwood of the tree. In Urdu it is called as Agar & in Sanskrit it is called as Aguru, In Arabic it is called as Oud, in English it is called as Agarwood & Aloes wood.
Campher, Phellanderene, Jerpene, Alcohol, A-cosrtene., B-costene, Aplotaxene, A-costene, Aplotarene, Costol, Dy-hydrocostus, lactone, Costus Lactone, ustic acid.
1. Beneficial in all types of phlegmatic diseases, diarrhea, cholera, genital wash (after menstrual cycle).
2. It is helpful in alopecia, Tinea versicolor, ringworms.
3. It increases complex.
4. It is a blood purifier, anti septic, anti spasmodic.
5. Best in bronchial asthma, paralysis, facial palsy, chloasma, cough & cold, throat infections.
Qust is an anti-bacterial herb with a very good effect & olive oil increases in medicinal actions & both enhances act of each other.
Anti-bacterial effect of Indian costus (Qust ul Hind) and sea-Qust and their water extracts on some pathogenic bacteria of the human
respiratory system AL-Kattan, Manal Othman Faculty of Science (Girls), Department of Microbiology, King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah,
Saudi Arabia. (Accepted on 4 May, 2012).
The pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system are characterized by resistance to most antibiotics. Staphylococcus aureus and Klebsiella pneumonia are some of the pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system which often cause pneumonia, pleurisy and meningitis. Moreover, they are the most prominent strains of bacteria in most hospitals.
Bacterial resistance to antibiotics occurs as a result of excessive usage of antibiotics in the treatment of diseases. For that reason, it is necessary to seek for medical alternatives that are safer for the treatment of these bacteria. Alternative medicine, especially, has revealed many plants and herbs that are used in the treatment for some diseases including respiratory diseases.
The purpose of this study is to determine the effect of the Indian Costus and sea-Qust on the pathogenic bacteria; Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, S. aureus and K. pneumonia. In addition, the effect of the water extracts of the Indian costus and sea-Qust on S. aureus and K. pneumonia was also determined.
The results showed antibacterial effect of two types of dried Costus roots on all tested bacteria, especially in high concentrations.
Also, the cold or hot water extract of Indian Costus was highly effective against tested bacteria at 20 to 25% concentration, while the
hot extract of sea-Qust was more effective against tested bacteria than its cold extract in all the concentrations used
Qust is the best medicine for pleurisy, throat infection mainly in children, take is at one side of mouth, for children prepare paste out of it & make them lick to lick the paste, can be used with olive oil, Warss or etc, can be used to get cleaned during & after mens. This lesson has 9 Hadees.