1. Quranic name of Miswaak is KHAMT.
2. Hadees name of Miswaak is SIWAK. (السواك)
3. Arabic name of Miswaak is ARAK, KHARDAL & SIWAK.
4. Hindi & Urdu name of Miswaak is PEELU, ARAK.
5. English name of Miswaak is MUSTARD.
6. Latin name of Miswaak is Salvadosa persica Linn
1. Abdur-Rahman Bin Abu Atiq رضي الله عنه says "My father told me: 'I heard 'A’isha رضي الله عنها saying, (narrating) from Nabiﷺ "Siwak is a means of purification for the mouth and is pleasing to the Lord."
[An-Nasa’i: 5; Book no. 1; Eng vol. 1; Book. 1, Hadees. 5]
2. Narrated by Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ said, I fear that my ummat will not be able to do, or I would have ordered
to delay the night Isha (salah) & to use Siwak (السواك) (Miswaak) (compulsory) before every Salah (Namaz).
[Abu Dawud: 46; Book. 1; Eng Book. 1; Hadees. 46]
3. Hazrat Abu Umamah رضي الله عنه reports that Nabiﷺ said "Use the tooth stick, for the tooth stick purifies the mouth and is pleasing to the Lord. Jibrail never came to me but he advised me to use the tooth stick, until I feared that it would be made obligatory for me and my Ummah. Was it not that I fear that it would be too difficult for my Ummah, I would have enjoined it upon them. And I use the tooth stick until I fear that I may make the front of my mouth sore.' (I.e. my gums) (Or cause my teeth to fall out due to brushing them so often)."
[Ibn Ma-jah: 304; Book. 1; Eng vol. 1; Book. 1, Hadees. 289]
4. Hazrat Abu Saeed رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said, it is Wajib (واجب) (obligation) to do Siwak (السواك) Miswaak & it is Wajib (واجب) to bath on every Friday to every Muslim & to apply Itar (الطيب) if available.
[Bukhari: 880; Book. 11; English vol. 2; Book. 13; Hadees. 5]
5. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said, if I would not have the feeling that my Ummah will not able to do Siwak (السواك) (miswaak), I would have ordered to do it before every Salah (Namaz).
[Tirmizi: 22; Book. 1; English vol.1; Book. 1, Hadees. 22]
6. Narrated by Abu Musa رضي الله عنه that "I came to Nabiﷺ when Heﷺ was using the Siwak, and the end of the Siwak was on his tongue, and he was saying, "'A','a'."
[An-Nasa’i: 3; Book. 1; English vol. 1; Book. 1, Hadees. 3]
7. A’isha رضي الله عنها narrated that "Nabiﷺ would clean His teeth with the Siwak, and then Heﷺ would give me the Siwak in order to wash it. So I would first use it myself, then wash it and return it.
[Abu Dawud: 52; Book. 1; English Book. 1; Hadees. 51]
8. Abdullah Bin Amir Bin Rabi'ah رضي الله عنه narrated from his father that he saw, Rasoolullahﷺ doing Miswaak during fasting (number of times).
[Tirmizi: 725; Book. 8, English vol. 2; Book. 3, Hadees. 725]
9. Narrated Huzaifa رضي الله عنه says, Whenever Nabiﷺ got up for Tahajjud prayer Heﷺ used to clean his mouth (and teeth) with Siwak.
[Bukhari: 1136; Book. 19; Eng vol. 2; Book. 21; Hadees. 237]
10. Hazrat Abu Zaid Al Aafaq رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ said there are only 3 types of good (السواك) Miswaak, first is Eraak
(Pilu) (اراك) if Eraak (Pilu) (اراك) is not available than use Anam (عنم) or Batam (بطم) ( Sanubar).
[Kanz al-Ummal: 26227]
11. Hazrat Abi Hiztussabaahi رضي الله عنه said that Nabiﷺ gave him a twig of Eraak (miswaak of Pilu tree) & said to do Miswaak with it.
[Kanz al-Ummal: 26226]
12. Hazrat Maaz Bin Jabal رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said the best twig (miswaak) is of Olive (Zaitoon) the precious tree, because it
gives good smell in mouth, reduces swelling, it is liked by Me, & was liked by Prophets (a.s) who came before me.
[Mojam Ausaf: 678]
13. Nabiﷺ guided that the size of Miswaak should not be more than one baalisht.
(Means the miswaak should not be longer than below diagram).
14. Miswaak should be hold between the three fingers and thumb and little finger of right hand. (Narrated by Abdullah
Ibn Masood رضي الله عنه
[Shami vol. 1. page 85]
This is the Sunnat way of holding the miswaak.
15. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said offering 2 Rakat Salah (Namaz) after doing Siwak (السواك) (Miswaak) is
70 times better than 2 Rakat (Salah) (Namaz) offered without doing Siwak (السواك) (Miswaak).
[Kashtul Khifa: 1399; volume no. 1; page no. 397]
16. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that Nabiﷺ said, Salah offered after doing Siwak (السواك) (miswaak) is 70 times better than Salah (Namaz) offered without doing Siwak (السواك) (miswaak).
[Musnad Ahmed: 26340]
17. Hazrat Abdullah Bin Abbas رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ said, ten benefits of Siwak (السواك) (Miswaak) are: -
1. It brings good smell in mouth.
2. Makes gums stronger.
3. Makes eye sight stronger.
4. Removes phlegm.
5. Reliefs inflammation.
6. It is Sunnah.
7. It pleases Farishtaas.
8. It pleases (Rabb) Allah Ta'ala.
9. It is ne-qee (Sawaab).
10. It cleans the bowel.
[Kanz al-Ummal: 26185]
18. Shuraih asked Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها what Nabiﷺ would do as soon as Heﷺ entered the house. She replied Siwak (السواك) (miswaak).
[Abu Dawud: 51; Book. 1; Eng Book. 1; Hadees. 58]
19. It was narrated from Al-Miqdam - Abu Shuraih - that his father said "I asked to 'Aisha رضي الله عنها 'What did Nabiﷺ did with when He entered his house?' She said: 'The Siwak".
[Nasa’i: 8; Book. 1; Eng vol. 1; Book. 1, Hadees. 8]
20. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها narrated that Rasoolullahﷺ did Siwak (السواك) (Miswaak) during the last moments of his life.
[Bukhari: 4449; Book. 64; Eng vol. 5; Book. 59; Hadees. 730]
It is a part of long Hadees.
1. While Wazoo.
2. While recitation of Quran.
3. While entering home.
4. At the time of last moments on earth.
5. At Sehri.
6. At wake up.
7. Before sleep.
8. Before going to a journey.
9. After returning from a journey.
Many Alkaloids, Salvadorine, Trimethylamine, Chloride, Fluoride, Silica, Natural Sulphur, Vitamin C, Sabonin, Tanin, Flavonoids, Sito sterol, Resins, Natural salts, Vitamin A, Many natural substances.
1. The Miswaak should be a straight twig (small branch) and clean.
2. The Miswaak should not be too hard/rough or too soft.
3. The new Miswaak should be approximately 8 inches (a hand-span) in length.
4. The Miswaak should be free from dirt.
5. The Miswaak should be the thickness of the forefinger.
6. Before and after using the Miswaak, it should be washed.
7. The Miswaak should not be sucked.
8. The Miswaak should be placed vertically when not in use.
9. If the Miswaak is dry it should be moistened with water prior to use.
10. This is Mustahaab. It is preferable to moisten it with Rose water.
11. The Miswaak should not be used at both ends.
12. The Miswaak should not be taken from an unknown tree, as it may be poisonous.
13. All types of tree twigs may be used for Miswaak with the exception of the pomegranate tree, b) the basil plant, it can cause leprosy, c) the myrtle tree, and it can also cause leprosy. It, too, should not be used as a toothpick.
14. Preferably, twigs from a bitter tree should be used, for, it (wood from a bitter tree) cleanses the mouth and strengthens the teeth and stomach. Ensure that it is not harmful or poisonous.
1. Always wash it before & after use.
2. Keep in a polythene bag or long container & keep in fridge at night.
3. Never keep bear in pocket, store in polythene bag or container and keep in the pocket.
4. Dip in rose water for some time daily.
5. Rub the miswaak on teeth gently.
6. Discard the miswaak if bad swell occurs from it or it gets very hard.
7. Never use other people’s miswaak. Wife can use husband's miswaak.
8. Keep miswaak in a cool dry place or fridge.
9. Cut the brush end & make the bristles by cutting them with teeth.
1. It stops growth of bacteria (due to natural sulphurs in it).
2. Kills the bacteria.
3. It lowers the pH of mouth, so bacteria cannot grow & multiple (due to Trimethylamine in it).
4. Strengthens the capillaries, gums & teeth. (Due to vitamin C, resins & Sito sterol in it).
5. Increases blood flow in the gums, make them stronger & diseases free.
6. Whitens the teeth (due to chloride & silica).
7. Good for teeth enamel (due to fluorine).
8. Makes teeth strong & durable.
9. Keeps the throat clean & free from infections.
10. Increases digestion
11. It reduces cough & phlegm.
12. Good in treating throat problems.
13. Its elements get mixed is saliva & benefits the whole body.
14. Increases eye sight (due to vitamin A in it).
15. Increases intellect.
Part used is, its twig & root as a tooth brush.
The Wrigley Company conducted a study on the Miswaak which was published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry in
2007. Wrigley’s research concluded that mints laced with Miswaak extract were 20 times more effective in killing bacteria than
ordinary mints. A small testimony to this fact is that, after half an hour, the mints laced with Miswaak extract killed about
60% of the bacteria where as the ordinary mints managed only 3.6%.
In the August 2008 issue of the Journal of Period ontology, there appeared a study conducted by Swedish researchers on the Miswaak, as well. The study apparently found that suspended Miswaak pieces in a petridish, the medium for culturing bacteria, were able to kill bacteria that cause periodontal disease without being in physical contact with the bacteria. The researchers, however, suggested that the Miswaak pieces may have been sprayed with antibiotic gases, in their attempt to explain the phenomenon.
Yet another study, one comparing the use of the toothbrush and the use of the Miswaak (2003) can be reviewed currently online at the website for the U.S. National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health (PubMed).
The study concluded that Miswaak was more effective than tooth brushing in reducing plaque and gingivitis provided it was used correctly. Similar studies found on the same website and elsewhere vouch for the effectiveness of Miswaak over toothbrush. “The miswaak appeared to be more effective than tooth brushing for removing plaque from the embrasures, thus enhancing interproximal health,” stated the researchers.
There have been plenty of published studies on the Miswaak and, in fact, entire books published which study its oral and systemic benefits.
With its strong antibacterial properties and perpendicular bristles, the Miswaak is a natural toothbrush, toothpaste and floss combined.
Miswaak pleases Allah, cleans the mouth, it has lot importance, so use it daily regularly. Clean the tongue also with it & can be used during Fasting. Use it when you enter your home & getup from sleeps. Use it of medium size. Salah offered after using it, is70 times better than without doing it. This lesson has 20 Hadees.