Attar (عطر) is natural perfume oil derived from botanical sources. Most commonly these oils are taken from the botanical material through hydro or steam distillation. Oils can also be expressed by chemical means but generally natural perfumes which qualify as Ittar/Attars are distilled naturally. The oils obtained from the herbs flowers & wood are generally distilled into a wood base such as sandalwood & then aged. The aging period can last from one to ten years depending on the botanicals used & the results desired.
Perfumes are mixture of fragrant essential oils or aroma compounds, fixatives & solvents - used to give the human body, animals, food, objects & living-spaces pleasant scent.
It is said the good perfumes which are free from alcohol & are natural are allowed & preferable to apply them. They are good for the soul & body (parts like brain & etc), they increases good sense, well being, mood & keep far the Shaitaan & Jinns.
1. Narrated by A’isha رضي الله عنها: I put perfume on Nabi ﷺ for His exiting Ihram & I put perfume on Him for His Ihram, perfume which was not like this perfume of yours" she meant that it does not last.
[Nasa’i: 2688; Book. 24; English vol. 3; Book. 24, Hadees. 2689]
2. Narrated by Umamah Bin Abdullah رضي الله عنه that "Anas رضي الله عنه would not refuse perfume (الطِّيبَ) & said: Indeed Nabi ﷺ would not refuse perfume.
[Tirmizi: 3019; Book. 43, English vol. 5; Book. 41, Hadees. 2789]
3. Narrated by Anas رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ forbade men to perfume themselves with saffron.
[Bukhari: 5846; Book. 77; English vol. 7; Book. 72; Hadees. 737]
4. Hazrat Abu Usman An-Nahdi رضي الله عنه says that Nabi ﷺ said: If anyone of you is given (gifted) Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) (fragrance) do not reject (refuse) it, (because) it is from Jannah (الجنة).
[Tirmizi: 3021; Book. 43, English vol. 5; Book. 41, Hadees. 2791]
5. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says that Nabi ﷺ said: Whoever is offered Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان), should not refuse it, (because) it has pleasant smell & is light in weight.
[Muslim 2253; Book. 40; English Book. 27; Hadees. 5600]
6. Hazrat Abu Saeed Al-Khudri رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullah ﷺ said: The best good smelling (الطيب) fragrance is (of) Musk (المسك) (Kasturi).
[Nasa’i: 1905; Book. 21; English vol. 3; Book. 21, Hadees. 1906]
Please read lesson no. 23 Rehaan (Rayhan) & lesson no. 26 Zarirah & also lesson no. 52 Musk in part 1.
7. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that she applied perfume which had Musk (المسك) in it, to Nabi ﷺ before Ihram & on the Qurbani day & before doing tawaf of Kabah.
[Tirmizi: 917; Book. 9; English vol. 2; Book. 4; Hadees. 917]
8. Hazrat Abu Saeed Al-Khudri رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullah ﷺ spoke about a woman of Bani-Israel who had filled Musk (المسك) in her ring because Musk is the best Itar (الطيب).
[Muslim: 2252 B; Book. 40; English Book. 27; Hadees. 5599]
9. In other Hadees it is mentioned that when she use to press her ring, in company of people, the fumes of Musk (المسك) use to spread all over.
[Musnad Ahmed: 11364]
10. Narrated Ma'bad Bin Hudhah رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ commanded to apply collyrium mixed with musk at the time of sleep.
[Abu Dawud: 2377; Book. 14; English Book. 13; Hadees. 2371]
11. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that we asked Rasoolullah ﷺ about Kausar (الكوثر) & Rasoolullah ﷺ replied: It is a river, which Allah will give me in Jannah; its river sand will have Musk in it. Its water is brighter than milk & sweeter than honey (العسل), over it such birds will fly whose neck will resemble neck of camel, on this, Hazrat Abu Bakr رضي الله عنه said that this is a great boon from Allah Ta’ala, & Nabi ﷺ said: Those who will eat them, will be more precious & fortunate ones.
[Musnad Ahmed: 13306]
12. Narrated by Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ said: The first group to enter the Jannah will look like the full moon & those who will come after them will look like a most brilliant planet in the sky, they will not urinate nor defecate, nor spit, nor will blow their noses, their comb will be of gold, their sweat will be Musk (المسك), their incense burner will be of aloes wood & their wives will be Hoors (fairies) & their built will be as Father Adam عليه السلام sixty cubits tall.
[Bukhari: 3327; Book. 60; English vol. 4; Book. 55; Hadees. 544]
13. Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه says that Nabi ﷺ said: For the people of Jannah (Paradise) there will be a market on every Friday, in this market there will be structures built with musk (المسك) & than north wind will blow & this wind will blow on their faces, garments & homes (by this) their beauty will increase, then they will return to their families, the family members will say: By Allah your beauty have increased & the person will also say, the same to their family members. [Riyadh Al-Salihin: 1889; Book. 20, English Book. 20; Hadees. 21, Musnad Ahmed: 14035]
14. Narrated by Abdul Jabbar Bin Wa'il رضي الله عنه that his father said: A bucket was brought to Nabi ﷺ; He ﷺ rinsed His Mouth & spit into it & it was like musk or better than musk & He ﷺ rinsed His Nostrils outside the bucket.
[Ibn Majah: 704; Book. 1; English vol. 1; Book. 1, Hadees. 659]
15. Narrated by Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ said: A wound which a Muslim receives in Allah's cause will appear on the Day of Resurrection as it was at the time of infliction; blood will be flowing from wound & its color will be that of the blood but smell as musk.
[Bukhari: 237; Book. 4; English vol. 1; Book. 4; Hadees. 238]
16. Narrated Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها that an Ansari woman asked Nabi ﷺ how to take a bath after finishing from the menses. He ﷺ replied: Take a piece of a cloth perfumed with musk & clean the private parts with it thrice. Nabi ﷺ felt shy & turned his face. So I pulled her to me & told her what Nabi ﷺ meant.
[Bukhari: 315; Book. 6; English vol. 1; Book. 6; Hadees. 312]
17. Narrated by Anas رضي الله عنه that Nabi ﷺ said: In this world, women & perfume have been made dear to Me & My comfort has been provided in Salah (prayer).
[Nasa’i: 3939; Book. 36; English vol. 4; Book. 36, Hadees. 3391]
Please refer Lesson no.23 Rehaan (Rayhan) & Lesson no. 52 Musk in part-1 of this Book.