Pleurisy is an inflammatory condition of the pleura (covering layers of the lungs), which impairs their lubricating function & causes pain when breathing. It is caused by pneumonia & other diseases of the chest or abdomen.
1. Hazrat Talha رضي الله عنه says that he went to Nabi ﷺ & Nabi ﷺ had Safarjal (السفرجل) in His Hand & said, take it, Oh! Talha for it soothes the heart.
[Ibn Majah: 3494: Book. 29; English vol. 4; Book. 29, Hadees. 3369]
2. Hazrat Jabir Bin Abdullah رضي الله عنه says that Nabi ﷺ said: "Eat Safarjal (السفرجل) (Quince) because it heals cardiac problems & removes heaviness from chest.
[Kanz al-Ummal: 28258]
3. Narrated by Umme Qais Bint Minsaan رضي الله عنها that she took her son to Nabi ﷺ who was suffering from throat infection & she had press his throat part, Nabi ﷺ saw the child & said: “Why do you press your children & you should use Aloes wood (الْعُودِ الْهِنْدِيِّ) (Al-Ud Al-Hindi), there are 7 cures in it, it should be inhaled for throat infection (Azrah) & taken by mouth for pleurisy (Zaatul-Janb).
[Ibn Majah: 3590; Book. 31; English vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3462]
4. Hazrat Zaid Bin Arqam رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullah ﷺ advised, as a treatment for pleurisy ( ذات الجنب) (zaatul-janb), Memecylon (ورس) (Warss), Costus (قسط) (Qust), & Olive oil (زيت) (Zait) & take at one side of mouth (يُلَدُّ).
[Ibn Majah: 3596; Book. 31; English vol. 4; Book. 31, Hadees. 3467]
Means the preparation should be taken at the side of the mouth to which side the problem in the body is, means if the problem is the right side of the body than take the preparation in the right side of the mouth.
Flower Of Costus.
White Costus Root (Qustul Bahri)
Dark Costus (Qustul Hind)
Qustul Bahri means White Costus (White Saussaurea lappa in Latin); a whole lesson is present in my Tibb-e-Nabawi ﷺ. (Refer Lesson no. 24 Qust in part-1)
5. Qatadah narrated from Abu Abdullah that Zaid Bin Arqam رضي الله عنه said that Nabi ﷺ would acclaim olive oil (الزَّيْت) & (الْوَرْس) Memecylon (Warss) for (the treatment of) pleurisy." Qatadah said: "And it is put in the mouth on the side which he is suffering.
[Tirmizi: 2222; Book. 28, English vol. 4; Book. 2, Hadees. 2078]
(Means it is to be taken at one side of mouth).
This shows that taking medicine in to the mouth should be in one side of the mouth means if we have problem in the left side of the body than take medicine in the left side of the mouth. Please read more Hadees on this topic so that you will come to known the concept properly.
6. Hazrat Suhaib رضي الله عنه reports that his right eye was paining & he was eating Tamar (تمر) (dates), looking to this; Rasoolullah ﷺ said that, you are eating Tamar (تمر) (dates) in spite of eye pain, On this Hazrat Suhaib رضي الله عنه said that I am eating from left side & my right eye is paining.
[Baihaqi : 20047]
The details given below are according to Ulama & Islamic Scholars & not from Hadees.
Recite the above Chapter 9 (Surah) Tawbah verse no. 14 for 41 times & blow in Zamzam Water & drink or make the patient drink.
[Cures from the Quran, by Muhammad Elahi page. 85]
Recite the above Chapter 3 (Surah) Al-Imran verse no. 8 for 21 times after Fajar Salah (Namaz) & blow in water & drink for 21 days.
[Cures from the Quran, by Muhammad Elahi page. 87]
In Hadees, Quince is said to eaten on empty stomach it is good for the soul, تجم الفؤاد means that Quince pleases / strengthens the heart, & opens the coagulation (if clots are there). والطخاء للقلب is meant for darkness, like clouds or a sand storm cover the clear sky which is then un-seen, so Quince will do the same job for the heart, it will remove the blockage & the heart will be clear & healthy Insha'Allah.
Nabi ﷺ recommended the use of olive oil in pleurisy. Keeping this in view olive oil was administered in various diseases of respiratory tract & it was observed that the regular use of olive oil was affected in common cold & coryzha & pneumonia.
(Pictures are given above).
Costus (Qust) is an anti-bacterial herb with a very good effect & olive oil increases its medicinal actions & both enhances act of each other.
Anti-bacterial effect of Indian costus (Qust ul Hind) & sea-Qust & their water extracts on some pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system. AL-Kattan, Manal Othman Faculty of Science (Girls), Department of Microbiology, King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia (Accepted on 4 May, 2012).
The pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system are characterized by resistance (medicines do not work) to most anti-biotics. Staphylococcus aureus & Klebsiella pneumonia are some of the pathogenic bacteria of the human respiratory system which often cause pneumonia, pleurisy & meningitis. Moreover, they are the most prominent strains of bacteria in most hospitals.
Bacterial resistance to anti-biotics occurs as a result of excessive usage of anti-biotics in the treatment of diseases. For that reason, it is necessary to seek for medical alternatives that are safer for the treatment of these bacteria. Alternative medicine, especially, has revealed many plants & herbs that are used in the treatment for some diseases including respiratory diseases.
The purpose of this study is to determine the effect of the Indian costus & sea-costus on the pathogenic bacteria; Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus & Klebsiella pneumonia. In addition, the effect of the water extracts of the Indian costus & sea-costus on Staphylococcus aureus & Klebsiella pneumonia was also determined.
The results showed anti-bacterial effect of two types of dried Costus roots on all tested bacteria, especially in high concentrations. Also, the cold or hot water extract of Indian Costus was highly effective against tested bacteria at 20 to 25% concentration, while the hot extract of sea-Qust was more effective against tested bacteria than its cold extract in all the concentrations used.
Olive is blessed tree, has Barkat in it, eat its oil & apply on body, it cures leprosy, Basoor, best for pleurisy & shaitaan (evil) run away when we use it, can be used in combination of Warss (Memecylon), Qust (costus) etc, should be taken in one side of mouth or put in
Anti-bacterial: - Results showed the ethyl acetate & chloroform extracts of the plant with moderate anti-bacterial activity. Maximum activity was shown by the chloroform extract against Bacillus subtilis.
Radical Scavenging / Anti-Inflammatory / Analgesic: - The ethyl acetate extract showed the highest stimulation for interleukin-10 production; it also caused significant inhibition of the writhing response. The methanol fraction exhibited radical scavenging activity.
Anti-microbial: - Study of methanol extracts showed significant activity against gram-positive, gram-negative bacteria & fungus.
Apoptogenic / Human Gastric Carcinoma: - Study evaluated the anti-proliferative & apoptogenic activity of an ethyl acetate extract of leaves of Memecylon edule in various cancer cell lines. Results showed the extract inhibited the gastric cancer cell growth in a dose-dependent manner, inducing apoptosis by mitochondrial dependent pathway.