1. The word Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) means sweet smelling plant.
2. Hindi it is called as Tulsi.
3. In it is called Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) in Hadees, Quran & Arabic.
4. In English it is called as Sweet basil, Myrtle.
5. In Sanskrit it is called as Vishwa Tulsi.
6. In Hindi, Gujrati & Urdu it is called as Sabza.
7. In Marathi it is called as Tukmaria.
8. In Latin it is called as Ocimum basillicum.
9. Family Larniaceae.
Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) means sweet smelling plants. It is not one type of plant, Allah Ta’lah has gifted every region a sweet smelling plant, according to their needs, and they all come under the topic of Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) means every region grows sweet smelling plants of its own kind by the grace of Allah Ta’ala.
The leaves, stems, pods, flowers etc all have a sweet smell, but the taste is bitter.
There are different- different species of sweet smelling plant in the world, and all come under the title of Rehaan (Rayhan).
In India it may be Tulsi.
In Arab it may be Myrtle.
In Iraq and Syria, it may be Sweet basil.
In India, Tulsi have all qualities, and can be taken under the heading of Rehaan (Rayhan).
1. Chapter (Sura) Rahmaan verse no. 12.
Translation: And also corns, with leaves and stalks for fodder and sweet-scented plants.
2. Chapter (Sura) Waaqia verse no. 89.
Translation: For him is the comfort and flower and a garden of delight.
1. Hazrat Usama Bin Shariq رضي الله عنه narrates a long Hadees in which Nabiﷺ explained a long detail about Jannah (الجنة) in that,
it is said that, In Paradise (الجنة) there will be plants of Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) (sweet smelling plants) & its
branches, & mentioned other luxurious things of Paradise (الجنة) .(It is a long Hadees).
[Kanz al-Ummal: 39268]
2. Hazrat Abu Usman An-Nahdi رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said if anyone of you is given (gifted) Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) (fragrance) do not reject (refuse) it, (because) it is from Paradise (الجنة).
[Tirmizi: 3021; Book. 43, English vol.5; Book. 41, Hadees no. 2791]
3. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said whoever is offered Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان), should not refuse it, (because) it has pleasant smell & is light in weight.
[Muslim 2253; Book no. 40; In English Book no. 27; Hadees no. 5600]
4. Hazrat Abu Musa Al-Ash'ari رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ said "A believer who recites the Qur'an is like an orange whose
fragrance is sweet and whose taste is sweet, a believer who does not recite the Qur'an is like a date which has no fragrance but
has a sweet taste and the hypocrite (munafiq & faajir) who recites the Qur'an is like Rehaan (Rayhan) basil whose fragrance is
sweet, but whose taste is bitter and a hypocrite (munafiq & faajir) who does not recite the Qur'an is like the colocynth which has
no fragrance and has a bitter taste.
[Bukhari: 5427; Book. 70; Eng vol. 7; Book. 65; Hadees. 338.]
(Colocynth is a bitter cucumber & also bitter apple).
5. Nabiﷺ said that Hasan & Husein رضي الله عنه both are my Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) (sweet smelling flowers) on earth (الدنيا). [Mishkat: 6145]
6. Narrated Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه that Rasoolullahﷺ once explained a long detail about angels (Farishtaas) coming to a good
pious person to remove his soul, the angles refer the good person’s soul as Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) (Along with many praises).
1. Leaves, soft -stem, fruits, pods, roots, flowers, Stem, stem bark, root- bark.
1. Fresh leaves, soft stems, fruits, flowers etc can be chewed and eaten. Leaves, stem, fruits, flowers etc all together can be
soaked in water, over night and boiled in mourning for 15 minutes, than filter and drink the water in lukewarm condition.
2. Can be used with ginger, fruits, Methi (a type of bhaji, leafy, with root or use its seeds), munnaka (dried grapes of big size), Black Caraway (kalonji) (black seeds) etc but use in little quantity, for 21 days or more.
3. Always try to eat or use all parts of it, like leaves, soft stems, flowers etc together, because they all have different- different benefits and are compatible to each other.
4. Tablets ot capsules of it are available.
Vitamin K, C, A, E, B1, B2, B3, B6, follic acid, potassium, iron, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, protein, carbohydrate, fibers, copper, carotene, lutein, cryptoxanthin & etc.
1. Reduces cough, lungs infection, diarrhea, stomach infection, cold & cough.
2. Also helpful in skin infections, internal infection.
3. It can be used in all diseases, along with other medications
4. Reliefs heart problems, sinus and throat infections.
5. Expels gases, increases urine out-put.
6. Good for sleeps, migraine, weakness, menstrual problems etc.
1. Take 5 or more leaves, with stalk of stem, with 1 or 2 flowers, daily 2 to 3 times a day for 15 to 30 days (Refer how to use column).
Can be used for skin, wounds, ulcers etc, (apply on skin lesions). Prepare a paste out of Rehaan (Rayhan)’s leaves, flowers etc and apply on the lesion.
In general Rehaan (Rayhan) mean two things 1) sweet smelling plants 2) Sweet smell. In Hadees of Abu Musa رضي الله عنه it is said
that “the hypocrite (munafiq & faajir) who recites the Qur'an is like Rehaan (Rayhan) basil whose fragrance is sweet, but whose
taste is bitter” may refer to sweet smelling plants, thought Allah only knows better, the interpretation of this Hadees is very
wide & not easy to do, I understand from this Hadees is that, All the sweet smelling plants may not be good to use, so they are
compared with non-believers (munafiq & faajir).
According to modern science sweet basil has many health benefits but also a side effect, the above-ground parts of basil and basil oil are POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth as a medicine, long-term. These contain estragole, a chemical that might increase the risk of getting liver cancer.
But in one Hadees it is said, “Hasan & Husein رضي الله عنه both are my Rehaan (Rayhan) (الريحان) on earth (الدنيا) again interpretation here is difficult, what I understand here is perfumes, though Allah knows better.
A study by researchers at Purdue University revealed that basil "contains a wide range of essential oils rich in phenolic
compounds and a wide array of other natural products including polyphenols such as flavonoids and anthocyanins."
The herb contains high quantities of (E)-beta-caryophyllene (BCP), which may be useful in treating arthritis and inflammatory bowel diseases, according to research conducted at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.
Reduce inflammation and swelling - a study presented at the Royal Pharmaceutical Society's annual event, revealed that "extracts of O. tenuiflorm (Holy basil) were shown to reduce swelling by up to 73%, 24 hours after treatment".
Anti-aging properties - according to research presented at the British Pharmaceutical Conference (BPC) in Manchester, basil has properties that can help prevent the harmful effects of aging. Holy basil extract was effective at killing off harmful molecules and preventing damage caused by some free radicals in the liver, brain and heart.
Rich in antioxidants - results of a study published in the Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education & Research showed that ethanol extract Ocimum basillicum had more antioxidant activity than standard antioxidants.
In Jannah there will be Rehaan (Rayhan) plants, do not refuse if you are gifted Rehaan (Rayhan) (perfume or flower or sweet smelling plant), and good souls are referred as Rehaan (Rayhan) by angles. This lesson has 6 Hadees.