1. In Hadees & Arabic is called as Al-Ma'a. (ماء)
2. In English it is called as Water.
3. In Urdu & Hindi it is called as Paani.
In Quran water is been mentioned in many verses, in different contexts.
1. Narrated Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ said: "Let none of you drink all at once like the camel. But drink two or three
times, mentioning Allah's Name when you drink, and praising Him when you (finish)."
[Tirmizi: 1885; Book. 26; Eng vol. 3; Book. 24, Hadees. 1885.]
2. Narrated Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه Nabiﷺ prohibited breathing out in the vessel or blow into it.
[Tirmizi: 1888; Book. 26; Eng vol. 3; Book. 24, Hadees. 1888]
3. Narrated by Abu Saeed Al Khudri رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ prohibited blowing into the drinks, the man asked: "What about if one sees something floating in the vessel?" Heﷺ replied: "Spill it out (removing that)." He said: "I cannot drink in one breath." & Nabiﷺ said: "Then remove the cup away from your mouth".
[Tirmizi: 1887; Book. 26; Eng vol. 3; Book. 24, Hadees. 1887]
4. Hazrat Anas Bin Malik رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ drank water (ماء) in 3 breathes & said this way is more wholesome & thirst
[Tirmizi: 1884; Book. 26; Eng vol. 3; Book 24, Hadees. 1884]
5. Hazrat Abdullah Bin Abi Qatadah رضي الله عنه says from his father that Nabiﷺ said, "When one of you drinks, then do not breathe
into the vessel".
[Tirmizi: 1889; Book. 26; Eng vol.3; Book. 24, Hadees. 1889]
(Means that the glass or drinking vessel should be taken far from the mouth & nose & exhale followed by inhale). And hold the breath while drinking and drink sip by sip.
6. Narrated Abu Huraira رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ forbade the drinking of water directly from the mouth of a water skin.
[Bukhari: 5628; Book. 74; Eng vol. 7; Book. 69; Hadees. 532]
7. Hazrat Qataada رضي الله عنه says that Hazrat Anas رضي الله عنه said, Nabiﷺ disliked & stopped them, when found people drinking water
(ماء) in standing position & about eating in standing position Anas رضي الله عنه was asked, he answer “That is worse”.
[Tirmizi: 1879; Book. 26; In Eng vol. 3; Book. 24, Hadees. 1879]
8. Narrated Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ has drank Zamzam water (ماء زمزم) in standing position.
[Tirmizi: 1882; Book. 26; Eng vol. 3; Book. 24, Hadees. 1882]
9. Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه reported that Nabiﷺ said, none of you should drink while standing; and if anyone forgets, he must vomit.
[Muslim: 2026; Book. 36; Eng; Book. 23; Hadees. 5022]
10. Narrated by Abdullah Bin Yazad Al-khatmi that Umar Bin Al-Khattab رضي الله عنه wrote to him (saying) cook (boil) your drinks until
the share of shaitaan is gone, for he has two share & you have one (means boil till 1/3 is left over & 2/3 is evaporated).
[An-Nasa’i: 5717; Book. 51; Eng vol. 6; Book. 51; Hadees. 5720]
11. Narrated by Anas رضي الله عنه that Umme Sulaim رضي الله عنها had a wooden cup & she said she gave Nabiﷺ all kinds of things to drink in it (water, honey, Nabiz)
[An-Nasa’i: 5753; Book. 51; Eng vol. 6; Book. 51, Hadees. 5756]
12. Hazrat Abu Saeed Al-Khudri رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ disallowed drinking from the chipped (broken) side of the cup and from
breathing in the drink".
[Abu Dawud: 3722; Book. 27; Eng Book. 26; Hadees. 3713]
13. Hazrat Abu Umamah Al-Bahili رضي الله عنه says that Nabiﷺ said that water (ماء) is pure (usable) if the taste, colour & smell of
water is proper.
[Ibn Ma-jah: 563; Book. 1; Eng vol. 1; Book. 1, Hadees. 521]
(Means if water is contaminated than its colour, taste or smell will change).
14. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says that one person asked to Nabiﷺ that “we are travelers on sea, & we do not have lot of water with
us, can we do WAZOO with sea water? Nabiﷺ answered that, sea water is pure (usable) & its products are also permissible.
[An-Nasai: 332; Book. 2; Eng vol. 1 Book. 2, Hadees. 333]
15. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ said do not pass urine in still waters (الماء الدائم) & also do not take
bath in still waters (الماء الدائم) after sex (جنابة).
[Abu Dawud: 70; Book. 1; Eng Book. 1; Hadees. 70]
Remember bath after sex is compulsory in Islam. Still waters are like swimming pools, pools, ponds, sea water etc
16. Narrated by Jabir رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ forbade urinating into standing water.
[Ibn Ma-jah: 369; Book. 1; Eng vol. 1; Book. 1, Hadees. 343]
17. Narrated Aisha that Nabiﷺ said, "Fever is from the heat of the (Hell) Fire, so cool it with water."
[Bukhari: 3263; Book. 59; Eng vol. 4; Book. 54; Hadees. 485]
18. Hazrat Abu Hurairah رضي الله عنه says that Rasoolullahﷺ said “The one who do not gets cleaned (طهره) with sea water also, then there
is nothing from Allah (Ta’lah) to clean (طهره) him”
19. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها says that Rasoolullahﷺ said that “There is an important part of kidney (called as) khasaura (الخاصرة)
when this part gets swelled up, the person gets great pain & problems, treat this with excessively boiled water (الماء المحرق)
(muharraq) & Honey (عسل)”.
[Mustadrak Al Hakim: 8237]
20. Narrated Jabir Bin Abdullah رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ entered upon a man among the Ansar when he was watering his garden, & asked him ‘If you have any water that has been kept overnight in a water skin, then give us some to drink, otherwise we will drink by putting out mouths in the basin.’ He replied, ‘I have water that has been kept in a water skin, so he went and we went with him, to the shelter, where he milked a sheep for Him and (mixed it with) water that had been kept overnight in a water skin. He drank from it, then he did likewise for his Companion who was with him.”
[Ibn Ma-jah: 3558; Book. 30; Eng vol. 4; Book. 30, Hadees. 3432]
Waterskin is a bag like thing in which water was stored & kept for cooling. When water is left overnight, its earthly and sandy pollutants will rest in the bottom.
21. It was narrated by Jabir رضي الله عنه that Nabiﷺ forbade selling water.
[An-Nasa’i: 4660; Book. 44; Eng vol. 5; Book. 44, Hadees. 4664]
22. Amr Bin Shu'aib on the authority of his father and grandfather reported that they saw Nabiﷺ drink standing, and sitting.
[Riyad As-Salihin: 770; Book. 3; Eng Book. 3; Hadees. 43]
23. Hazrat A'isha رضي الله عنها says that Nabiﷺ said that three things to see are beneficial for vision
a) To see at greenery (tree etc) (الخضرة).
b) To see to running water (river) (الماء الجارى).
c) To see to a beautiful face. (حسن الوجه)
[Kanz al-Ummal: 28313]
24. It is mentioned in Baihaqi, (if you need) take water out from still waters & bath at different place (but never bath in still waters after sex, nor urinate in it).
25. Hazrat A’isha رضي الله عنها narrates that Nabiﷺ liked kept water.
[Musnad Abi Yaala: 4613]
1. Nabiﷺ used to drink water mixed with honey in the morning & did not eat after it, but after the lapse of sometime ate when Heﷺ felt
[Shamail-e-Kubra; vol. 1; page 209-10]
2. Nabiﷺ said that Water is the leader the best of all liquids drinks, both in this world & Hereafter.
[Shamail-e-Kubra; vol. 1; page 208]
3. Nabiﷺ used to sip the drinking water by lips & tongue & did not pour the water directly in mouth.
[Shamail-e-Kubra; vol. 1; page 215]
4. It is Sunnah to recite Bismillah before drinking a sip & recite Alhamdulillah after drinking the sips & Nabiﷺ drank in three gulps & Nabiﷺ prohibited drinking like a camel in one gulp.
[Shamail-e-Kubra; vol. 1; page 217]
The scientist Masaru Emoto & his team of Japan found out that, the Muslims recites BISMILLAH before eating / drinking. He says that after saying BISMILLAH on regular water, there are some strange changes happened in the quality of regular water. That make it best water.
5. The person who serves others should himself eat or drink last & the eldest should be served first than serve from right side.
[Shamail-e-Kubra; vol. 1; page 217-218]
6. After drinking water one should recite the following Dua
Translation: Praise be to Allah who gave us sweet water to drink by His mercy and did not make it bitter due to our wrong doings.
[Shamail-e-Kubra; vol. 1; page 238-239]
7. Drinking water after meals is not Sunnah, especially if the water is very hot or very cold as both are harmful.
[Shamail-e-Kubra; vol no. 1; page 214]
8. Nabiﷺ said Allah gets pleased with the person who recites Al-Hamdulillah after every morsel of meal & every sip of water.
[Shamail-e-Kubra; vol. 1; page 227]
1. Water help the kidneys to function properly, helps the liver in metabolism, aids digestion, maintains pH of the body & blood volume, helps in blood circulation, cleans body, removes waste & toxins, cleans & tones the skin, maintain water volume in the body, reduces lipids, cough, phlegm etc, hence there are numerous benefits of water.
Whenever we examine the statements of the Prophet ﷺ, we should always remember one thing: that He صلى الله عليه وسلم was extremely eloquent and concise.
Though His صلى الله عليه وسلم words are few, they contain an abundance of knowledge and wisdom. It is important that we learn to take our time
contemplating His صلى الله عليه وسلم words, so we can derive as much wisdom from them as possible.
A Brief Explanation:
A man asked about a particular situation that he and other Muslims had found themselves in. Was it permissible to make wudu from the salty ocean water, while carrying a small amount of water on board? The Prophet ﷺ clearly answered the question and more than the man asked. Let’s take a look at how he answered the question.
First, He ﷺ could have simply said: “Yes”, and the man would have gotten his answer and moved on. However, the Prophet ﷺ decided to make a universal statement concerning the purity of saltwater and added details pertaining to the consumption of seafood. Had the Prophet ﷺ only said, “Yes”, then it could have been understood that making wudu from saltwater is allowed only under certain circumstances, like when lacking other clean water or if out at sea. This would have left some ambiguity about the absolute purity of saltwater. Rather, he stated a principle that the water of the ocean was absolutely pure, which means it can be used in making wudu, ghusl (ritual washing), and cleaning one’s self after the restroom. Thus, it became crystal clear that saltwater is always considered pure, regardless of the circumstances.
Secondly, He ﷺ added that whatever died in the ocean was permissible to eat. So why did He ﷺ add this information when it was not requested? The Prophet ﷺ realized that if people are out at sea, and are in need of water, then they would also be in need of food. Hence, He ﷺ realized that it was in the man’s benefit to know that all seafood is permissible to eat, and didn’t need to be slaughtered to be considered permissible. This shows the Prophet’s ﷺ insight and practicality in imparting knowledge, which although not requested, was valuable to know.
Science shows that exhaling CO2 into a glass of water causes it to react and form carbonic acid that can disturb our internal environment causing a pH change. This, in worse condition, can lead to 'Acidosis' (a condition where the blood has too much acid (or a very low base) and often causes decreased blood pH) & also the bacteria present in mouth will go in the drink or food & from the drink or food the bacteria will directly get in the stomach & cause infection.
The scientist of Japan Masaru Emoto & his team says that "My Muslim colleague offered to recite Quranic verses over the water. He brought a tape-recorder and played some Quranic verses, and we got the most perfectly-shaped crystals. Then he played the 99 names of Allah (SWT). Each name produced a uniquely-shaped crystal. Then he began cursing the water. We said: Water, you are impure. You are not suited for consumption. The water, in this case, did not freeze, or produced an extremely ugly crystal." When they uttered bad words like "war" or "fighting," the water did not freeze, or else produced an ugly shape. When the man completed these experiments, which lasted 15 years, he published a five-volume book called Messages from Water. He wrote: "I have proven that water, that peculiar liquid, is capable of thinking, fathoming, feeling, getting excited, and expressing itself."
He also found out that if someone recites the Quran on regular water, it gets the ability for the treatment of different diseases. This scientist Masaru Emoto & his team also found out that, the Muslims recites BISMILLAH before eating/drinking. He says that after saying BISMILLAH on regular water, there are some strange changes happened in the quality of regular water. That make it best water.
1. Do not drink water in one large gulp, do not exhale in the drinking vessel, separate the vessel of drinking at each sip, do not drink directly from water skins, do not stand & drink, do not drink from the broken region of the cup.
2. Zamzam can be drank in standing position, drink zamzam in plenty, drink water in 3 breathes, treat fever with water wash or sponge, overnight kept water is beneficial, praise Allah before & after drinking water.
3. If you boil any drinking thing, than reduces the quantity to 1/3 & reduces the 2/3 part by boiling, for kidney problems drink excessively boiled water added with honey.
4. Sea water is pure; one can perform Wazoo from it, do not urinate in still water, nor bath in them after sex. This lesson has 25 Hadees & 8 conclusions of Hadees for Shamail-e-Kubra.